Can I set up a business account in PayPal in Canadian funds?

karininwinnipeg
Contributor
Contributor

I'm helping my church to set up a business account. We are in Winnipeg, Canada. There is some confusion and some members of our board are saying that PayPal is in US funds only, so there is always a conversion from Candian donations to USD. I think that's wrong based on my personal experience. It seems that if you set up an accout in PayPal and you live in Canada, the default currency is Canadian. So donations in CND wouldn't need to convert at all.

Can someone please confirm this, and also confirm the method / procedure we need to do in order to ensure that our account is Canadian? Is providing an address in Canada enough, or do we need to go to "a Canadian PayPal site" (I'm thinking that it's like Amazon.com vs. Amazon.ca)?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@karininwinnipeg

Good grief, hopefully the Americans aren't taking over our currencies as well  !!!!!    Smiley Wink

No, paypal is country specific and you use your own currency. I am in the UK and certainly would not want their dollars ta muchly.

When you open a paypal account you select your country from the drop down list and then your currency will be Canadian dollars.

Just stick ''paypal canada'' into google and you should hit the correct one to start with.

Any country can accept other currencies if they ''add them'' as a receiving currency but your own currency is the default and the one that others should use to pay you unless you agree to them sending you other currencies.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@karininwinnipeg

Good grief, hopefully the Americans aren't taking over our currencies as well  !!!!!    Smiley Wink

No, paypal is country specific and you use your own currency. I am in the UK and certainly would not want their dollars ta muchly.

When you open a paypal account you select your country from the drop down list and then your currency will be Canadian dollars.

Just stick ''paypal canada'' into google and you should hit the correct one to start with.

Any country can accept other currencies if they ''add them'' as a receiving currency but your own currency is the default and the one that others should use to pay you unless you agree to them sending you other currencies.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

karininwinnipeg
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for confirming that!

Karin

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.