Can I choose bank or credit card when making a purchase?

Cappygirl
Contributor
Contributor

The title says it all.

Ok it prompted me to check out a topic which I then read. The question was basically the same as mine. The answer was this.

"I can understand your frustration with this, but we do have a funding hierarchy when it comes to making a payment.  We will always use your PayPal balance first, then your bank, then your card.  But, with the exemption of the balance, you can change that for ONE PURCHASE to go to the card instead of the bank.  On the payment review page, you'll have a link that says 'Change' right below your funding source and from that you can change to your credit card."

So my followup question is this. If it uses my bank them my credit card. Does this mean I will get an NSF? I do NOT want that. But I do see I can charge it for a single purchase which will basically do for my needs. I'm just curious about the NSF. Thank you 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

robsteer
Contributor
Contributor

If the bank transfer fails and the back up funding source (card) fails then that can cause a negative balance on PayPal.

However when you are in the checkout, every time you will be able to choose the funding option for the transaction, card or bank. It just can't be set permanantly as the card.

When you have a negative balance it isn't as much of an issue as it is with the bank, there are no charges like going into an overdraft. As long as you resolve the negative balance as quickly as you can.

But this is only if both funding sources fail on the account.

Hope this helps!

🙂

Login to Me Too

Cappygirl
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you that does shed more light on how the whole system works. However, my question still remains. If Paypal tries to take money from my bank and it is not there will that cause an NSF? I guess it will. hmmmmm. Ok. I think I have answered my own question as NSF stands for non sufficient funds. Thanks : )

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.