"Pending Authorization", yet the money was taken from my PayPal balance???

lrhaberman
Contributor
Contributor

So I just completed, or thought I completed a rather large order on Forever 21's website. First the site kept telling my my addresses were invalid so I tediously typed them into my account again. Shut down Chrome in case that was the issue and try again. Finally get it to confirm the address but now I have a Pending Authorization. The email I recieved said the money wouldn't be taken out until the company confirmed my payment which in itself was frustrating because I am new to this and honest to god am not a fan of all PayPal's policies. But whatever, that's what I get for not reading the fine print. All I want to know is what's going on. My money is gone but I still have the payment pending in my History and my cart on Forever 21 is still full like nothing happened. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lrhaberman

normally when you pay a seller it is never instant > paypal CREDIT the seller and then paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer from your funding source to paypal to reimburse them.

so paypal CREDITED your seller the funds and they are pending waiting for them to capture those pending funds, which some companies do not do until they have processed your order (in case they are out of stock etc).

however your funds are probably still in transit to paypal to reimburse them of those credited funds.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lrhaberman

Its not a payment policy  >>

When you pay some companies (rather than an ebay seller or individual), then it is always pending until that company processes your order and captures the pending payment.

If they don't process that order and capture the pending payment then the pending status times out at 30 days post-payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

lrhaberman
Contributor
Contributor
Well I understand that much now. I just don't get why the money was already taken out of my account if it's still being authorized.
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lrhaberman

normally when you pay a seller it is never instant > paypal CREDIT the seller and then paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer from your funding source to paypal to reimburse them.

so paypal CREDITED your seller the funds and they are pending waiting for them to capture those pending funds, which some companies do not do until they have processed your order (in case they are out of stock etc).

however your funds are probably still in transit to paypal to reimburse them of those credited funds.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

lrhaberman
Contributor
Contributor
I suppose that makes sense. Should I call either company just to be certain? I appreciate your help, I'm just incredibly paranoid. I'm a new PayPal user as well and this is the 2nd time I've purchased something online through them. The first transaction I made on Etsy was finished in the snap of a finger so this whole thing just confused me.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lrhaberman

Yes of course call them if you want to.

But i have paid lots of companies and it stayed as pending for a few days and then went to completed.

Sometimes its quicker if the company processes the order more quickly but i would expect to wait a bit longer this time of year.

Also don't forget that an Etsy transaction is normally with an individual or small company that don't use that option so it would complete straight away.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lrhaberman

Does this help taken directly from paypals help pages  >>>

Why is the order status pending?

If the order status is "Pending", your order has been received by the seller, but your payment has not yet been processed.

For most purchases, the seller will complete the payment within a few days of receiving the order. For purchases of goods, many sellers will complete the payment when they are ready to ship your purchase. For some purchases, such as services, rentals, or hotel stays, the seller will complete the payment after your purchase is fully delivered.

The status of an order will continue to display as pending until it expires, is completed, or has been voided.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

lrhaberman
Contributor
Contributor
Ugh. Okay. I'm also really impatient so maybe I should just call them, hear what I want to hear from them, and chill. Thanks so much for the reassurance though!
Login to Me Too

Lauraramon89
Did you solve this problem? This just happened to me at the forever 21 online store. So I'm freaking out. Talked to forever 21 and they couldn't help me cancel the transaction. I don't know what to do. Help 😞
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lauraramon89

When you pay a company (rather than an ebay seller or individual), then it is often pending until that company processes your order and captures the pending payment.

If they don't process that order and capture the pending payment then the pending status times out at 30 days post-payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.