buying from the USA and using USD credit card

paceboss
New Community Member

Hello;

I made a purchase in the USA for $605.00US and selected my USD credit card (on file with paypal) to pay, when the bill comes I see that it was converted to $812.50 CDN then back to USD $641.06. That is $36.06 USD more. I went back and noticed this was the case on all my paypal transactions. I called paypal to inquire and I was told it is because I live in Canada they automatically convert to CDN dollars then back to USD because it is a USD credit card. The more she tried to explain this to me the more frustrated I got. The whole reason for getting a USD credit card was to avoid the exchange rates as I do have USD currency. After the call I still do not understand the logic. I stopped using paypal and now just give my credit card info for each purchase, no additional fees this way but I really don’t like giving my credit card number to so many people.  Can anyone tell me how to avoid these fees?

Thank you

George

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Chikarmane
New Community Member

Fact that PayPal or anyone else have not responded says a lot about PayPal attending customer needs or a policy of gouging the customers. I have no use of PayPal anymore after this.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.