Withheld money and how does this work?

Wukn
Contributor
Contributor

Okay so my question is a two part question. I recently made a payment to a website for $197.99 USD which I didn't realize was USD but it went and converted money from my bank account and paid for it so I got a refund directly from the site now it says the refund is complete but I have $250.94 CAD in witheld money. Why is this money witheld if the website refunded me and when will I get it back? Also at the time my account I had linked with Paypal only had $200 CAD so how did it even make the payment in the first place? Now to my second question say I have $50 USD in my Paypal and I went to pay for this thing I was buying will it use that $50 in my Paypal balance then take money from my bank account or just ignore the $50 in my balance and just use my bank account?

Thanks in advance

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

When you send a bank funded Instant Transfer payment, two things happen simultaneously:

- PayPal sends a request to your bank for the funds for the transaction. It takes 3-7 business days for funds to come from your bank.

- PayPal pays the seller up front for you, instantly, so that the seller will not delay in processing your order.

When refund or cancellation occurs for that payment within a few days of it being sent, the funds that PayPal paid up front for you are returned.

However, the funds from your bank account are still in transit. They haven't reached your PayPal account yet.

As soon as those funds clear, they are available for you to use or withdraw.

If you have funds in your paypal account balance in the same currency that the person you are paying accepts then paypal will use those funds first and anything left over will be debited from any funding source you have linked to your paypal account.

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Wukn
Contributor
Contributor

Hey so the $250 has gone through I assume as it's out of my bank account so why isn't the hold taken off my Paypal balance?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.