How can I receive my payment back?

lambenthyme
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a handheld gaming system from a seller on ebay few weeks ago, in which the condition of the item was inaccurately portrayed along with a missing item. I sent two emails to the seller, asking for a refund or partial refund at least, but I'll most likely have to open a dispute to resolve this issue since she still haven't replied a day and a half later. However, I've never opened a dispute before and I'm very afraid that it'll result in me losing $270. Could anyone tell me a few ways to how I can make this work? 😞

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi lambenthyme

You have more to lose if u dont try since they arent responding

Open a dispute put in all the info and escalate when u can, u have 45 days from purchase date

Do it sooner rather than later

Login to Me Too

lambenthyme
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for replying minty1

I'll open the dispute right after this message but my main concern is, would Paypal give me the refund if the item was stated to be in perfect condition but had multiple scratches and dents on it? Again, I'm new to this and very nervous of the outcome.

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Normally cos its an Ebay item I would say open on Ebay but because u paid in 2 parts I doubt if u would be considered for the whole refund, and like I said ppal can only say yes or no!

So am I right in saying u have 2 seperate transactions for the item in your ppal account, and u definitely paid for "goods" not a gift payment?

If yes open SNAD disputes( significantly not as described)

Fill in all the info and escalate like I said when u can

Dont be nervous thing is Im not ppal only trying to help so only they know the outcome

When u open the disputes the seller has 10 days to respond

They might respond they might not, they might offer u part refund

U might have to return the item if a full refund is offered at your expense unless its a business where certain regulations apply. but dont do anything until ppal tell u to.

Come back for more advice if you are unsure on what to do

Login to Me Too

lambenthyme
Contributor
Contributor

Oh I'm terribly sorry, I forgot to include an important information, the deal was settled through email and paid with paypal on a ebay item that ended. (I was only able to purchase it after contacting the ebay seller about it) The seller preferred not using ebay so I went along with it and was sent an invoice for the item. Anyhow, I filled in my complaints and the reasons seem right for me to receive back my money. Its just that I did some research about the paypal dispute being a joke with some negative things happening for the buyers which caused me to think unclearly. I'm confident now that I've finally opened the dispute, Thank you very much for your help!

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

I understand your concerns its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other with  ppal!

Both sellers and buyers have "negative" things happen but ppal is not a guaranteed refund at times(different circumstances), but at least u tried whereas if u didnt u probably would kick yourself you've got nothing to lose really,

As for it being a transaction outside of Ebay u wouldnt have been able to dispute in on there anyway, neither will u be able to leave feedback.

Dont forget to escalate when u can, make sure you dont close the dispute even if the seller asks u to and promises a refund after(scam trick) because u wont hear from them again.

Come back for more advice if needed before u do anything

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Have u opened 2 disputes?

Am I right in saying u paid 2 separate invoices?

Login to Me Too

lambenthyme
Contributor
Contributor

Okay I understand now, and it was only one invoice from the ebay seller, except that transaction was through email which the seller preferred. And thank you for the advice!

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Right ok u didnt pay in 2 parts must have mixed this up with another message after going back and reading all your posts

U paid a invoice sent by the seller

Ok good luck ket me know the outcome or come back before and I'll try to help some more

WelcomeSmiley Wink

Login to Me Too

TsufakTuna
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Take this as a lesson, and eBay even states it on their website - please do not complete an eBay purchase OUTSIDE of the ebay system. This is usually an indication of a scam.

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.