Fees for sending cash?

yerallnuts
New Community Member

I'm a long time member (1999) located in Canada. 

The recipient of a transfer of money (my cousin) is in the US.  I am sending him money as our share of a gift for a mutual family member.  I've done this before.  It isn't a large number, less than $25 (or $50 if I am feeling generous).  The money can be funded from a PayPal balance, which happens to be in Canadian funds, or from a credit card or my bank balance.  I have a credit card that offers fee-free exchange rates and charges the interbank conversion, so I really prefer to use this when sending US money, because PayPal's exchange rates suck badly.

I have never been charged a fee in the past when doing this type of transaction and neither has my cousin, as the recipient.

This year the system charged a fee of 1% and offered to have me pay for it or to charge it to the recipient.  This is somthing new AFAIK.

I can't find any reference to a change in the TOS in the help files - and considering the usurious exchange rates that PP wants for my Canadian cash sources and the several additional percentage points to fund this transfer from a credit card in either currency, this sems to me to e something of a rip-off..

So is this something ew?  Or am I going senile?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Jonathan358
New Community Member

+1, I just sent a payment, albeit small, for $9.00 USD and got a fee of $0.09 USD...

I'm worried about future payments.

Login to Me Too

lozzie47

I keep getting charged all the time for all my transactions, it is getting beyond a joke now. Paypal is just trying to make money off us. It's horrible. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.