Can't buy anything on Steam using Paypal

commanderhavoc
Contributor
Contributor

I'm unable to buy anything on Steam with Paypal

I've been using Paypal for several years now and its gone smoothly up until yesterday evening.

I was trying to place a preorder on Warhammer Endtimes: Vermintide, but I kept getting this error message that there were some problems with the payment method I picked and I tried several times as well with buying the game.

Also, I tried removing my card and then putting it back in my Paypal, but that didn't work either.

Is anyone else having the same issue?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi commanderhavoc,

Welcome to the community!

Because there were also issues adding the card back to the account, I think it's safe to say that the card is probably being denied by the card issuer.  When a card is added to PayPal, we may attempt a small authorization on the card (usually around $1) to make sure the card is valid and working.  If the card is being declined that would explain the issues with making the original purchase as well.

Sometimes card issuers are more likely to block internet purchases if they think the payment is unusual and might be fraud.  If this is still happening, I recommend contacting the card issuer to see if they are declining any authorizations.  If they aren't declining it then it could be our security system too.  We would need you to contact support so we can take a closer look.  https://www.paypal.com/contactus

I hope this helps! 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

ozphotonut
New Community Member

The answer doesn't appear to relate to the question. I am trying to purchase a game via steam using my PayPal account. All I get is a login screen but can't enter anything. The user account name (i.e. email address) and password are blank and I can't enter anything. I have PayPal account payment selected as my bank account. Have switched to my credit card. Expiration date is OK. Still no luck. 

@PayPal_Frank wrote:

Hi commanderhavoc,

Welcome to the community!

Because there were also issues adding the card back to the account, I think it's safe to say that the card is probably being denied by the card issuer.  When a card is added to PayPal, we may attempt a small authorization on the card (usually around $1) to make sure the card is valid and working.  If the card is being declined that would explain the issues with making the original purchase as well.

Sometimes card issuers are more likely to block internet purchases if they think the payment is unusual and might be fraud.  If this is still happening, I recommend contacting the card issuer to see if they are declining any authorizations.  If they aren't declining it then it could be our security system too.  We would need you to contact support so we can take a closer look.  https://www.paypal.com/contactus

I hope this helps! 🙂

- Frank

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.