transaction history download does not show transaction fees

twohand
Contributor
Contributor

When I download my transaction history, there is no column that shows PayPal transaction fees.  There is a post about "What is the easiest way to calculate fees?" that states there is a column showing fees in the downloaded file, but I don't see it in my download.  Anybody know how to download the transaction fees?

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@twohand  Not sure what you are trying to do with the information but what I find to be the most helpful is going to PayPal History, selecting a date range and generating a report that can be downloaded in the CSV format, which is a database and can be run in exel.  From there you can sort by all kinds of columns and yes there is one for PayPal fees.  Once I do that I can copy whole sections out and put in a new exel spreadsheet, add some formulas for totals.  This is great for tax purposes.  Each line item is identified as a certain type transaction so you can break out shipping costs, etc.  Hope that helps.

Login to Me Too

twohand
Contributor
Contributor

@Linc1957- Thanks for the laser fast response.  I am setting up an Excel spreadsheet to track my sales and expenses pertaining to my eBay sold items.  I want to get the PayPal fees into the spreadsheet without having to enter them in manually.  It may be that since I don't have a Business account with PayPal, the fees column does not download into the file.  Here are my steps/mouse-clicks that I am using to download my activity:

Activity/Detailed/Statements/Activity Export/Date range selection/File Types for Download/Comma Delimited - All Activity/Download History/Open with MS Excel.

The resulting file has 10 columns of data - Date, Time, Time Zone, Name, Type, Status, Currency, Amount, Receipt ID, and Balance.  Fees is not one of the columns.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@twohand  Yes, using that click path you should be able to dump the data in a speadsheet.  I chose their CSV format which is already a spreadsheet.  It has shipping cost, monthly eBay Invoice payments, a column for PP fees, et.  And I believe you get about the same info on the regular account as well as business.  We have 3 IDs here and 3 separate accounts.  I do the quarterly state sales tax reporting online so I need to be able to sort by state then copy those sales over to another spreadsheet.

As for a formula for excel to calculate PP fees, I use a simple one in a cell as follows (where "E5" is the Cell with the total of both item and shipping paid by the buyer): =(E5*0.29)+0.3

That formula multiplies the total of the order (the item and shipping) by PP 2.9% fee then adds the 30 cents for the transaction fee.

Login to Me Too

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@twohand  Sorry for the multiple replies, try the CSV format in PP, I just checked the one basic account and the columns the CSV format has is

Date - Time - TimeZone - Name - Type - Status - Currency - Gross - FEE - Net - To Email (and more)

Gee, I wish I could add pics to this forum like eBay's ... could show you in 2 seconds what it looks like.  Anyway, wanted to add that if you only have 10 columns, you can add that formula I gave you making sure that the E5 equivilent is your total order) and have that over on the right if you want.  (E5 is just an example, your reference cell would be different of course)

Login to Me Too

twohand
Contributor
Contributor

@Linc1957  Sheesh.  I don't get anything but the 10 columns I listed earlier... No matter what I do, click or cuss at.  Choosing CSV from the "Basic Search" screen does not give me the same columns as it gives you.  I really appreciate you checking this out.  Wish somebody somewhere could tell me what I am doing wrong.  Very frustrating.

Login to Me Too

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@twohand  You are doing nothing wrong ... call PayPal and let them know you want the account feature that allows more columns in the CSV spreadsheet, I "think" I did that for my wife's account as hers is a real basic one ... this was a while ago and I think maybe it was the "Classic" view or something, sorry I am a bit fuzzy on that.

Login to Me Too

twohand
Contributor
Contributor

@Linc1957I called PayPal and asked them to add more columns to my csv.  Thanks for your help!

Login to Me Too

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@twohand  You are welcome

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.