item sent and delivered but "lost", seller wants refund

dlbrewe
Contributor
Contributor

I sold some items to a guy late last month. Tracking # showed delivered so I had assumed he had recieved them. 6 days after it said delivered I inquired with him about purchasing more and he said maybe after he gets those. What? Tracking # says delivered I said. He said maybe one of his neighbors has the package. Another week goes by and now he says nobody has it. Now he's asking for a refund or replacement (total was over a hundred dollars). No extra insurance (other than standard priority mail $50) or signature required was agreed upon. In my eyes it almost looks like he is scamming me.

A dispute was opened by him and after I gave this story I was immediately told by paypal that they sided with me and was given back the money (which was being held once he complained). Now I guess he is appealing it. I'm assuming now paypal is going to review the case.

Can I get any idea who will be sided with?

Am I doing the correct thing?

Obviously I'm not trying to scam him because I have proof of shipment/delivery but there is a possibily he's not being truthful on his end.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

USPS tracking shows it has been delivered,so Paypal sides with you,since it is delivered,no USPS insurance will be approved.

Tell your buyer to ask local post office where the package is,if he files chargeback with his cc issuer,PAYPAL will have to eat the loss.

Login to Me Too

dlbrewe
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you. The buyer is threatening to go about "other options" in getting his money back if PayPal doesn't side with him. Does PayPal show him my real physical address? All I gave him was my email address.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

No.

but if he buys it from you on a sales venue,like eBAY,he could get your phone number.

why take it out on you when tracking shows it has been delivered,USPS does make mistake ,or he does not have enough security around the house for package to be left unattended.

he may be able to open a claim with his homeowner policy insurer,but most have high deductibles.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The buyer might try to dispute with credit card.  If that works PayPal will be forced to refund to buyer, but your seller protection should help to get reimbursed by PayPal.  That assumes you are eligible for seller protection.  What informationis on the transaction details page?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.