fraud?

shinjilauper
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i recently found a translation job offer on craigslist for a game. i exchanged a few emails with the poster. and then he asked me to email him on his work email, which i did. he sent me the game's website which seemed pretty legit. i did further research and it seems to be a real product, cause i found it on amazon and several other sites. also, the site he sent me was the first and only result in google as the official site. plus, it does advertise that it will be soon translated to a different language and the dude's email address domain does match the site's domain also. that's why i didn't feel it fishy at first.

he sent me a legal document in which i provided my paypal acct and sent it to him, then he replied asking for my address. that's what struck me as odd.

i started researching and luckily found no similar fraud method but i'm still antsy about sending him my address because i think it's kind of a useless bit of information if the job's going to be so casual in the first place. I'm also not sure if it can be used maliciously in addition to my paypal acct

pls note my paypal has no balance yet and also no card linked to it (thinking maybe i'll be more secure that way at least for now). i can link it once my last payment has sat there for 7 business days so i can withdraw it.

so my question is: does it sound legit or fishy and is it risky to give him my address?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I dunno...I rather sign up at a site where it is a work marketplace platform and people hire others for jobs like this with ways to protect both parties than go looking at craigslist.  But that's just me.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I dunno...I rather sign up at a site where it is a work marketplace platform and people hire others for jobs like this with ways to protect both parties than go looking at craigslist.  But that's just me.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@shinjilauper

My guess is that it's a scam.

If you want to be hired to translate find a local job.  Craigs List is not a good place.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.