eBay listing removed after buyer paid for item

sol123
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry if there's already an answer posted somewhere, but I wasn't able to find one that applies. I just received an email that eBay canceled bids and purchases for a buyer whose account was compromised. The item I sold was paid for through PayPal and the funds have been released, so I'm not sure what this means to me, if anything. eBay has already credited me the final value fees, but should I expect the funds that have been released to disappear? All eBay's email said was the buyer's account was "recently" compromised, but not how recently. The item I sold was purchased June 17.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you should refund the payment and relist the item.

if it were a credit card payment and the trueful owner files a chargeback,the payment will be reversed and you will pay a $20 chargeback fee.

Login to Me Too

sol123
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I wasn't clear enough. The item  was shipped and delivered and the buyer's payment released by PayPal. So afaik the sale was legit. I can't refund and relist as the item is gone. I called both eBay and PayPal since my my post and they both say everything looks kosher. If it turns out someone files a dispute they'll notify me and we'll figure it out then. I was trying to find out what was going on because this all happened after the sale, after the item was sent out, and after I got my money. I'm a new seller. So far I've done mostly BINs, but I'm having major headaches with auction-style selling. Guess I'll just forget about selling. It's not worth the pain.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal and Ebay are 2 separate companies,if Ebay account has been compromised,which usually mean someone hacked into the account and start shopping.

since most ebayers link their Paypal account with their Ebay account,you get instant payment from Paypal.

Ebay refund your fee and cancel the listing,but you have already shipped,did you use the address on the Paypal payment notice?

Paypal offers seller protection for unauthorised transaction,if you ship to the address on its payment notice and if it said the item qualifies for seller protection,then you are protected,it does not have t o show it has been delivered,if you can prove you haev shipped to the address in paypal notice and item qualified for protection,then you are protected.

did you use Paypal to print shipping label,if so,then tracking will be a proof you have shipped .

Login to Me Too

sol123
Contributor
Contributor

I know eBay and PayPal are separate entities, but I thought eBay owned PayPal. That's not important anyway. I did print the shipping label from eBay after payment was made using PayPal so I assume the address is the linked one. I'm asking about this here because I don't have any experience with problems yet. I'm just going to assume my sale was to the legitimate eBay user until I hear otherwise. Thank you for your responses.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

scammers prey on new sellers or seller with low feedback.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.