What does paypal cover for selling an item on ebay?

bwijaya21

I'm trying to sell my musical instrument on eBay. It is a lot of money, which leads me to this question(s):

If the person who won the item paid for the winning item but in the end his account bounced, what happen to my item after I already sent it to the person? Does Paypal cover the cost of the item?

Not sure if it makes sense but bottom line, I don't want to be scammed by someone and next thing I lose the item and doesn't get the money.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

pin_up_mommy_29
Contributor
Contributor

DO NOT SHIP ITEM UNTIL YOU SEE MONEY IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT!!

If the customer uses an echeck wait until it clears then ship. If it bounces it will show uncleared in the status.

If the money is showing as a pending balance that means that you received a payment it's just on hold waiting to receive tracking information on the item to help the customer know their item is on the way and releases your funds sooner.

Login to Me Too

bwijaya21

As long as it says "pending balance" I'll have the money in my paypal account? I'm new to this selling item thing

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you have a record of payment in your activity as received but it's  subject to PayPal funds availability hold, then you have been paid.  It's PayPal holding it until they can confirm delivery plus 3 to 7 or 14 (intl payment) days.

@bwijaya21 wrote:

As long as it says "pending balance" I'll have the money in my paypal account? I'm new to this selling item thing

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

There should be a very low possibility of this happening because you have to receive payment first.  If the buyer pays wth an eCheck, PayPal will let you know to ship only when funds have cleared.  Or if they used a credit card and it is declined during checkout, you would not have received a payment confirmation from PayPal before shipping the goods is in the picture.  What you should worry about is not get suckered in with fake confirmation emails or buyers emailing trying to convince they've paid when they didn't.  Always log on to your account to check if a record of payment is there before shipping.  Of course all payments can later be invalidated if there is a dispute or chargeback.  You will be held liable.  See Seller Protection program rules.

Login to Me Too

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@bwijaya21  Just curious, what type of instrument would it be?  The reason I ask is that guitars seem to have issues selling on eBay with scams and such.  If you sign in on eBay's The Community and then in the community search window type guitar you will see a list of threads from people who bought or sold them with issues.  If your instrument is say a trumpet, coronet, flute, etc. I think the Buyers in those categories are less likely to give you problems.  Just my opinion. 

Login to Me Too

bwijaya21

I am trying to sell my bass guitar. I'm trying to avoid scams. That's why I'm asking if it does happen, will Paypal pay me the money (my instrument)  what my item was selling for.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal gives you seller protection for a claim of not delivered as long as you comply with PayPal policies for seller protection.

You must ship to buyer's PayPal address and the payment transaction must have "OK to ship".   It will clearly state whether or not yo have seller protection.

That's about it.  PayPal provides very limited help in case of item not as described; for me, that's the big risk.  Scamming buyers know how to challenge that option.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bwijaya21 wrote:

I am trying to sell my bass guitar. I'm trying to avoid scams. That's why I'm asking if it does happen, will Paypal pay me the money (my instrument)  what my item was selling for.

Check this list of common scams and how to avoid them.  Read also the Seller Protection program rules.  It outlines what PayPal will cover and what they don't.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Ebay also offer buyer and seller protection,a buyer can file dispute on Ebay,Paypal or with his credit card issuer.

Ebay has a forum like this and you can ask the sellers there.

You also have to consider if you want to sell internationally,Thomson has a certain guitar where the wood is restricted for export and some where wood is restricted for import into Australia.

if you are selling just one,then you dont have t o worry.

guitars are good sellers,just make sure you describe it well,take good photos ,pack well,ship with tracking and insurance.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.