W9 needed from PayPal (eBay)

brandiroll
New Community Member

I called eBay today to request a W9 for the vendor card we are setting up and they told me they do not provide a W9 for fees paid to eBay that we have to request the W9 from PayPal.  Where can I find this document for our files?  If we do not have it we must 1099 for the fees paid, but has anyone experienced this before?  Would we 1099 eBay or Paypal if no one responds or both?  Confused...

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@brandiroll

From paypals help pages>>

Tax year 2016 1099-K forms will be available to eligible customers through the tax portal by January 27, 2017. For more information please see our common 1099 and tax related questions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

brandiroll
New Community Member

I need a w9 for eBay - was told that this comes from Paypal 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Why do you need a W9 form?  Are you paying independent contractors for services?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Businesses most commonly use IRS form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification, to get information from vendors they hire as independent contractors (also called freelancers).

You are not an independent contractor or a freelancer or an employee of eBay or PayPal's so why would you get a w9 from them?  In order for you to get one from PayPal or eBay, you would have to be contracted and paid by them to do work for them like if you worked on the design of their website or something.  When you sell on eBay, you are in employment to yourself, you know your own Tax ID number.

Or do you just need a form itself?

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you read the W-9 form,an organisation can ask you for TIN if it has to report to IRS that it  will be sending $$ to you either via 1099-int,1099 -div,1099-misc,1099-s,1099-k,1098,1099-c,1099-a.

But Ebay and Paypal haev never asked us to return a W-9 form,but recently a friend of mine signed up to sell his items on LIVEAUCTIONEER thru an art gallery and th art gallery required him to fill out a W-9 as it wil be collecting the sales proceeds for and remiiting to him.

Since Paypal sends us 1099-k for merchant account card and third party network,it could ask us for form w-9/

But if w-9 is a request for TIN,SSN,Paypal already have them when we open an account.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Instead of asking us for W9 or supplying one, PayPal/eBay simply asks us to enter our tax id into our account settings.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Ebay would not ask for your 

@brandiroll wrote:

I called eBay today to request a W9 for the vendor card we are setting up and they told me they do not provide a W9 for fees paid to eBay that we have to request the W9 from PayPal.  Where can I find this document for our files?  If we do not have it we must 1099 for the fees paid, but has anyone experienced this before?  Would we 1099 eBay or Paypal if no one responds or both?  Confused...

if you are asking why arent you getting a W9 request  from Ebay or Paypal?

Ebay does not send out any 1099 form to sellers on Ebay,but Paypal does,if you accept minimum of 200 transactions AND $20,000 in  a year.

So will AMZN if you are an AMZN marketplace seller with the same annual minimum,ditto Etsy or any site which collect sales proceeds for you  .

They do not need you to fill out a W9 as in your registration,you have given them enough information to prepare a 1099 to you and IRS.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.