Tried to set up a nonprofit and got "Something went wrong"

Pecosconference
New Community Member

I am trying to set up our 501.c.3 nonprofit's bank account on PayPal. It keeps asking for the name of a person, but our president changes every two years. I finally gave up and put in our current president and his phone. On the next page of signup, it asked what kind of business (nonprofit), our focus (educational) and our EIN. I clicked continue and got "Something went wrong." I tried again and again. Same message, no explanation. Finally I left off the EIN, and it went through but asked for the last four digits of the president's SS number and his date of birth. But this is NOT his bank account, and it is NOT linked to his SS number! What is going on here? Why do I have to link the account to a person? If they need his name and SS number for some reason, why don't they explain it? I called Support. They were totally clueless. They could not explain why an SS number and a date of birth are needed.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

Every account has to be linked to a person - does not matter if you're a Corporation or Charity or Sole Proprietor.  There has to be a person's name as the account owner, if SSN's are needed, it's for additional proof of ID of the account owner.  (At least this was how it was explained to us.)  Not sure why you could not get a good answer.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.