Someone sends money - PayPal thinks I'm selling something, puts money on hold.

McBeth

So I have a Ko-Fi page set up with my PayPal account. Someone sent me some money and when I went to accept it on PayPal, it put the money on hold until "the buyer has received what I'm selling." I'm not selling anything - they just sent me money. How do I fix this problem and make sure future Ko-Fi transactions are not processed this way? Thank you! 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

The system is either integrated at Ko-Fi to process goods and services PayPal payments or the sender is manually sending G&S payments which charges a fee and you have to provide tracking/mark the payment as Order Processed/Service Rendered via Add Tracking link.  Fund will be released 3-7 (domestic payments) to 14 (intl payments).  You can ask Ko-Fi if they can do anything about categorizing the payments as personal.

On the other hand, these are not payments from personal friends and family though so it shouldn't be classified as that and PayPal has a thing about receiving too many personal payments and can be seen as fee avoidance.

Anyway the holds are temporary until PayPal releases you from the hold program upon review, on their sole discretion in a few months.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

blessyo4
Contributor
Contributor
Im new to paypal too and Im in this very situation, so all we have to do essentially is wait until paypal releases the hold?
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

one does not have to accept paypal payments,online banking is a good alternative,so is check in the mail.

money order is cheap,you can buy one in the supermarket.

postal order is evern better,you dont have to deposit in the bank,just cash it with your post office with proper ID,how sweet,

Login to Me Too

FletchCrow
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this very same issue! I've already gotten 10 coffees from supporters of my blog but paypal is holding the latest until I send proof of shipping. It's all just very frustrating and odd, I guess since I've gotten 30$ from something Paypal is freaking out? I'm trying to find a fix to this short of contacting paypal support (hahah social anxiety) it's really frustrating because this is my only form of income as I can't work, so it's my fans helping me out. lmao hope someone finds a fix and updates this thread

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

what is KO-FI ?

SEND money via friend and family,then there is no Paypal fee ,it is considered a cash gft.

But if you keep accepting payments free  ,Paypal may not like it.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Your fans sending you money.

It is then considered goods and services,as you must have performed something to have fans.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.