Shipping Insurance Coverage Ambiguous and Contradictory - How much is Insurable Really?

GABarber
New Community Member

If I try to ship a package via USPS - it allows me to enter up to $1000 dollar of insured value, The terms and conditions available under the Calculate Button send you to a link where it say $2,499 and the ? button says insurance is only up to $100.

Similarly with the UPS Shipment, the value entered allows different values, but the notes Declared value is only covered to $100 unless you use ups.com. But as you enter higher declared values it charges more for shipping.

So for both UPS and USPS, the website implies three different values.  I spoke to customer support, and they found even more inconsistencies and couldnt really tell me whether my $1000 shipment would be covered.

Does anyone know the answer to this or have had to file a claim and gotten anywhere.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

The shipping interface that PayPal uses is a 3rd party piece which hooks into the USPS system.  Not all USPS features and functions are available and basically never have been and yes, it can drive you wacky.  The best work around we've found is to simply use the USPS site when you can't find the options you need through PayPal's Link.   You can still go back to your account and enter the tracking details - what you can't do is pay right away using your using your account balance.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.