Sent money to business account which was not used for agreed purpose

Loyalist1
New Community Member

I had a person working on my home whom I learned had a drug problem.  We reached an agreement (because I needed his help badly) that I would advance him $500 for first month in a treatment place. His PayPal account did not work, so he asked me to send money to his girlfriend, who has a PP merchant account. The guy did not go to rehab, and it was too late to cancel the $500, so I told my bank to stop payment. Thus, my PP account got dinged for $500. I had a previous dispute with the gf for $100 which closed, but PP never informed me that the $500 was being disputed by the merchant. I would at least have stated that the $500 to her did not go for the agreed purpose and she, ethically, should not keep it. Now PP has limited my account, and apparently I would have to reverse this stop payment order to restore it. PP never even provided a chance to dispute this with the merchant. I am NOT going to pay it, I was misled, but I would like to be able to use PayPal in the future.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

That's what happens when you send payments to accounts of non-trustworthy people.  They know how to get free money.

PayPal doesn't give you a second chance; blocking bank account payments you authorized is never a good idea as it presents a high risk for PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.