Selling privately to person in Spain

highstream
Contributor
Contributor

I need some help calculating how much to ask someone in Spain to pay.  This is a private sale, person to person, i.e., I'm not a merchant or business, if that matters. I have a total in USD for the item and shipping. Since I assume they will have to pay in Euros, I will make that conversion at the current rate. Now, for this kind of sale are the PP fees 3.9% + a little or 4.4% +, and what is the little extra? And since there will be a currency conversion to USD, then should I also add 2.9%?  Thanks,

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

highstream
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information. The issue turned out to be moot this time, as the manufacturer of the equipment is so protective of their international distribution network that they don't use universal voltage, they have different country serial numbers and the distributorships aren't favorable to servicing units bought elsewhere. Don't usually run into that strictly monitored a regime.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

cross border transaction is 30 cents plus 4.4%

currency conversion is 3%

you want to be paid in US $ and let him pay the conersion fee to convert his euro to US $.

YOU HAVE to ship via commercial carrier with tracking and if $750 or more,signature required.

USPS does not have any online viewable signature you can use t o protect yourself,so if it has to be signed for,use DHL,Fed Exp or UPS.

Tracking to Spain,check with USPS which class of mailing provides tracking online.

you may want to take out insurance ,there are two online private insurer,U-PIC and Ship insurance.

Usps DOES not offer insurance for frist class mail,PRIORITY MAIL INCLUDES $200 INsurance,check them out

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

USPS does not offer insurance for overseas first class mail.

Login to Me Too

highstream
Contributor
Contributor

With USPS, it would go Priority Mail International. That has tracking, $2499 maximum coverage it appears and, according to customer service, signature required is available in additional services when one uses Click n' Ship (or goes to the PO, I suppose).

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

USPS signature would be registered mail and is not viewable online,to get Paypal sellerprotection if payment is 750 or more,it must be viewable on line via a commercial carrier,so is tracking.

Login to Me Too

highstream
Contributor
Contributor

Whac a Mole, I really don't think you are up on USPS. Packages are shipped Priority Mail all the time with signature required. In fact, the way I got burned recently was not requiring it on a Priority Mail package over $750, so PP sided with the buyer.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@highstream

Suggest you do some research with USPS.com.

Signature confirmation is NOT available with Priority Mail to Spain.

I think you can purchase return receipt at the post office, but that is not viewable online.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@highstream wrote:

Whac a Mole, I really don't think you are up on USPS. Packages are shipped Priority Mail all the time with signature required. In fact, the way I got burned recently was not requiring it on a Priority Mail package over $750, so PP sided with the buyer.

DCCreations is right,USPS does not have online viewable signature confirmation for overseas packages,with medium and large fix rate priority boxes,you may see it online depending on country .

Like USPS likes to point out,it has no control over foreign postal service,unlike UPS,DHL or Fed Exp which has it own office overseas,foreign postal workers do not have to ask for signature and nothing USPS can do.

also USPS priority envelope and small box,they are not trackable once it leaves the country,folks have been burnt thinking it does ,only large and medium priority boxes and priority express guarantee do.

also priority intl guarantee,it guarantee your package would be delivered on a certain date,but you must ship out of a designated post office as it is turned overto Fed Exp,the driver does not come to pick them up at every post office,only those designated ones.

also customs delay would void the guarantee,in some countries like Brazil,it is common for a shipment to be in customs for days,if not weeks.

I have been burnt twice shipping to Russia with USPS priority and USPS express,neither is signed for,in fact the buyer plays a game,she refused to pick up the package at post office,filed item not received,gets her money back and race to the post office to retrieve the package.

The only way to get online viewable signature and tracking is via the private carrier ,go to INXPRESS to get a DHL discount

Login to Me Too
Solved

highstream
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information. The issue turned out to be moot this time, as the manufacturer of the equipment is so protective of their international distribution network that they don't use universal voltage, they have different country serial numbers and the distributorships aren't favorable to servicing units bought elsewhere. Don't usually run into that strictly monitored a regime.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.