Scam?

WolvesCry
Contributor
Contributor

I have been trying to sell a laptop and a guy is supposedly wanting to buy it. He has said he has sent payment from using my email address and upon checking email there is an email from paypal in my spam folder. The email says that a guy from Lagos, Nigeria has sent payment but that to complete the transaction I needed to verify that I have shipped the merchandice. I am not real familiar with all the policies, but someone more knowledgeable know if this is legit?

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

JemBondoc
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same transaction. Here is they sent me: 

You've received an instant payment

Dear ,

This e-Mail confirms that you have received an Instant payment of $820.44 USD
from Paulina <removed> via PayPal MERCHANDISE Payment Service.

Reversals : This method of payment can not be reversed.

View the details of this pending transaction below
VisaMastercardAmerican ExpressDiscoverPayPalPayPal Credit
Summary of this invoice

Sent from

Paulina <removed>

Sent to

Transaction ID 

Total

Title
$820.44 USD

Product
This is to inform you that this payment has been deducted from the Buyer's account, you will now go ahead and ship out the item(s) being ordered from you by the "Buyer" and send us your Shipment Receipt/Shipment Tracking Number for the shipment verification. Once we complete the verification to your shipment, the sum will be credited to your account with immediate effect.
Once the money's there you can:
Spend the money online at thousands of stores that accept PayPal.
Transfer it to your bank account (Once the money's there).
Get a PayPal Debit Master Card.
The above sum includes the "Shipping Cost" of the item(s) being ordered from you by the "Buyer" ( As Per PayPal MERCHANDISE PAYMENT POLICY). You will receive a Message from us shortly informing you on how to confirm this payment and how to send us your Shipment Receipt/Shipment Tracking Number for the shipment verification and the accreditation of your account.

PLEASE NOTE:
Questions? You may contact us by replying directly to this message >>For assistance
Thanks for using PayPal – the safer, easier way to pay and get paid online. Please kindly reply to this email for help or status on this transaction via our customer care <removed>. This mailbox is monitored and you will receive a response.

Authorized Signature.
Copyright © 1999-2017 PayPal. All rights reserved.
PayPal Email ID PP307.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JemBondoc

Yep scam, glad you were not caught out.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lyza15
Contributor
Contributor

hi! someone just chatted me about a merchandise that i've been selling. 

i'm quite alarmed because this person has the same email address.

is she a scammer?

paulina.XXX###@gmail.com

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.