Scam?

WolvesCry
Contributor
Contributor

I have been trying to sell a laptop and a guy is supposedly wanting to buy it. He has said he has sent payment from using my email address and upon checking email there is an email from paypal in my spam folder. The email says that a guy from Lagos, Nigeria has sent payment but that to complete the transaction I needed to verify that I have shipped the merchandice. I am not real familiar with all the policies, but someone more knowledgeable know if this is legit?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WolvesCry

Glad i logged on and saw this   >>

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WolvesCry

Glad i logged on and saw this   >>

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

WolvesCry
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks a lot!! Everything you mentioned was on point with how this person operated. Supposedly for his sons forthcoming birthday. I saw red flags throughout, but wanted to make sure before I potentially lost a customer.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WolvesCry

Your welcome, I love it when i can ruin a scammers day..........LOL

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bulldogger5
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guy

Good Job ruining their day.

Kudos to youSmiley Very HappySmiley Happy

Login to Me Too

sweetivy2016
New Community Member

I fell for it.

Login to Me Too

scanale5
New Community Member

this literally just happened to me this morning, thanks for the post it def helped!!!!

Login to Me Too

Mikey71
Contributor
Contributor
Just happened to me as well. Thanks
Login to Me Too

Tygoeser
New Community Member

I believe I am being scammed too!

I posted tires & wheels off my jeep for sale and a guy texted me interested in buying.  He said he would paypal me and send extra money to pay his "mover". Apparently he is in the Air force and that is the only way he can right now and his "mover" doesn't like paypal so he needs me to send the money via Wester Union!  I told him that this is obviously not a legit Paypal transaction, otherwise the money would have been in my balance right away as always.

He keeps guilting me saying that his payment can't be reversed and is very eager to by my product before somebody else does.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tygoeser

Yep typical scam.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask state they can't collect as they are in the military / working offshore or disabled.

OR

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.