Refund process from friends and family

Lilliep123
New Community Member
So I received money from my son's account to find out, someone hacked him and sent the money to this paypal. I know have control over this account, someone changed the password. Besides the point, I refunded the money back to him, how long will it take for it to process?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Rich

Excellent question! 

I'm glad your son was able to resecure their PayPal account password. I hope their password is strong and unique to their PayPal account to prevent a situation like this from happing!

In regards to the refund, it depends on how the money was sent. If the funds were sent via their PayPal balance, the money will be returned immediately.

If the payment was made using a debit or credit card, the money will be returned to their card balance in 3 - 5 business days on average. However, some financial institutions can take as long as 30 days, albeit this is uncommon and one can contact them to see if they can capture the refund faster. 

If the payment was made using his bank account as an ACH transfer, times can vary between 3 - 5 business days or until the payment clears with their bank. If a bank account is used to make a payment, PayPal will either send the payment out its own budget and wait for the bank transfer to finish processing or the funds would be sent as an eCheck. Either way, the refund will be available in the sender's PayPal balance once the payment has settled with the bank. Once the refund has been processed, the money can be withdrawn to the bank, which can be completed within 24 hours but can take 3 - 5 business days to update the user's bank balance depending on the financial institution. 

I hope you find this answer helpful. Thanks for being part of the PayPal Community!

- PayPal_Rich

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters always point in the right direction.
- Irish Proverb

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

PayPal_Rich

Excellent question! 

I'm glad your son was able to resecure their PayPal account password. I hope their password is strong and unique to their PayPal account to prevent a situation like this from happing!

In regards to the refund, it depends on how the money was sent. If the funds were sent via their PayPal balance, the money will be returned immediately.

If the payment was made using a debit or credit card, the money will be returned to their card balance in 3 - 5 business days on average. However, some financial institutions can take as long as 30 days, albeit this is uncommon and one can contact them to see if they can capture the refund faster. 

If the payment was made using his bank account as an ACH transfer, times can vary between 3 - 5 business days or until the payment clears with their bank. If a bank account is used to make a payment, PayPal will either send the payment out its own budget and wait for the bank transfer to finish processing or the funds would be sent as an eCheck. Either way, the refund will be available in the sender's PayPal balance once the payment has settled with the bank. Once the refund has been processed, the money can be withdrawn to the bank, which can be completed within 24 hours but can take 3 - 5 business days to update the user's bank balance depending on the financial institution. 

I hope you find this answer helpful. Thanks for being part of the PayPal Community!

- PayPal_Rich

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters always point in the right direction.
- Irish Proverb
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.