Receiving Payment

davbli
New Community Member

I have used PayPal so far to receive payment for EBay sales and to pay for Purchases.

I need to use PayPal so someone can prepay me for a non-EBay sale.

What information do I need give the person so they can pay me with Using PayPal and what does the person do to make the payment?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@davbli

The email address you use with paypal identifies your paypal account and is all someone needs to pay you.
Or you can send a money request from your paypal account to their paypal email address for them to pay.

HOWEVER be very careful as lot of scam merchants about. >>>>>>>>>>>>>

1. A lot of scammers encourage you to accept a paypal payment and if you don't have an account ask you to open one.

2. Do not get scammed via spoof emails that look as if they are from paypal.

3. Never send anything unless the funds are showing in your paypal account balance, even if you are a new seller and subject to the new seller hold the funds would still show in your balance but have pending by them.

4. Do NOT send anything to Nigeria or similar.

5. Do not be fooled by you so called buyer and "paypal" telling you that you either have to >>>

a. Send the item and provide a tracking number BEFORE the funds show in your balance.

b. You have to pay the buyers shipping agent via western union or moneygram before his payment that is supposed to include these costs are credited to you.

6. Do not accept payment for sales using the family / friends option.

7. Remember sellers send invoices and not buyers so if you get an invoice "marked as gift / paid" and saying it won't show in your balance for 24 hours or that your payment can't be the subject of a chargeback.....its a scam.

If in doubt come here and ask and also read up on paypals seller protection first so you can risk assess your transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

CLOWNLOACH
Contributor
Contributor

I am looking to sell stained glass windows to someone local who has a paypal account.  

If I do not want to ship them and meet her with the glass, how can I protect myself so she can't turn around and say she didn't receive the items, or items not as described?

I usually only use paypal for my eBay transactions and this will be a first, making a transaction outside of the eBay arena.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CLOWNLOACH

You should never use paypal for an item that is to be collected or personally delivered as you have 0 seller protection.

Your buyer can collect the item and then file a dispute for non receipt of item. As you would have no tracking number to prove delivery of the item to him then you would lose the dispute.

That is why Ebay give you the option of 'cash on collection' and you can state in your decription that that is the only payment you will accept. If a buyer pays with Paypal then you are allowed to refund that payment and re-state 'cash on collection'.

That way you have cash in hand / no wait / no fee / no risk of a dispute.   Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

CLOWNLOACH
Contributor
Contributor

This is a dicey situation I agree, however this person I trust more than the average and truly feel

she will not play any games.  That said, shipping would be a big risk in fear of the items potentially

becoming damaged in transit (stained glass).  If it were anything else, I'd actually prefer to ship and have a tracking number

associated with the item.  There has to be a "curve" around the shipping clause.  Some way to physically document her and I are

making this transaction in person.  I will do some more digging.  I have until this Saturday before we are suppose to do this.

Thanks for your reply, and if you can think of anything else....I'm all ears!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.