Potential Scam?

JacobFrisby
Contributor
Contributor

I am currently trying to sell my laptop on Craigslist for $400. I have recieved a text from someone in New York (area code 646) asking about the computer wanting to purchase it for his daughter in Houston, Texas. He said "I will be paying you through paypal and shipment will be handled through USPS priority Mail Express 1-Day." Something feels very off about this, so I'm wondering what kind of scam he could be pulling. If I go through will he potentially try to dispute the purchase or do a chargeback? If so is there anyway I can protect myself or should I just not even bother selling to him?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The first thing that gives me the "off" feeling is listing a $400 laptop on Craig's list.  It's like advertizing to the world that you are inviting scams.

There are MANY very knowledgeable, savvy, and smart PayPal buyers just looking for inexperienced sellers to scam. To protect yourself you need to be the expert and set the rules for buying and shipping.

Once the buyer starts indicating how the sale will go your are going down the wrong path.

YOU set the rules.  YOU send the buyer a complete invoice.  Buyer pays according to your terms.

A laptop, however, is still high risk for loss when buyer claims not as described because it doesn't work.  You can't PROVE anything.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.