Pending Payment was cancelled

TimV2000

I sold an Ipad on ebay about 10 days ago. The payment was pending and in the details it said okay to ship. I assumed that it was pending to ensure that the buyer had received the item before the funds were released. So I shipped it the next day. And the package had been delivered. For the past few days, the payment was still pending, after the item was shipped. And just this morning I get an email saying that the payment was canceled, and I check my paypal activity and it says that the payment has been canceled. In the details it now states, 

Reason: This payment was automatically returned by PayPal on Aug 11, 2017 because the funds were unclaimed for 30 days.
It also says:even though the item was bought only a week ago.

Status: Canceled - Your pending PayPal payment from Uli Blank could not be successfully completed. The amount was not credited to your PayPal account. Please do not ship your item.

This message made my stomach sank because the message from ebay clearly stated that it was okay to ship and it provided me with the shipping information. It even says on ebay that funds can be held for up to 21 days after the item is shipped, so how can I receive the payment when I don't ship the item. And now paypal is telling me not to ship because I didn't receive the payment? I'm almost certain that I've been scammed and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be told that there is nothing that both sites can do about it, they just transfer me back and forth between ebay and paypal. Why is it that a buyer can cancel a payment after the item is received and how come i didn't receive the money even though its been a week since the item arrived. How can i sell items on ebay when the money being sent to me is guarenteed to not be refunded. I am left with no ipad as well as no payment.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you have not called Ebay,call them and ask them why?

Ebay is a sales venue,their reps are more responsive ,the emails you recived make no sense at all.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It sounds like there is something wrong with his payment,could be a stolen card?

what does his Ebay feedback look like,is he new,is he still around?

Login to Me Too

onefive9
Contributor
Contributor

I was just scammed by a buyer and went through this exact same situation. PayPal will not help because I'm the one who received the payment so I can't dispute the transaction. I've contacted eBay and filed an unpaid item case but I don't have any faith that I'll be reimbursed the funds lost with this fradulent transaction.

This entire system is confusing for sellers and allows fradulent buyers to exploit those holes. eBay and PayPal need to address this issue or less and less buyers will feel confident selling on eBay with scammers being so rampant.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.