Paypal is Crooked, Double Charged me and refuse to admit fault

TinaDaniels82
Contributor
Contributor
Paypal is crooked, I was double charged for 8 transactions which caused my bank account to issue me $180 in overdraft fees. PayPal refuses to admit fault, I should not have been charged twice, but I was. The fact that Paypal issued me refunds for the 8 transactions admits fault, but the customer service reps and the snotty supervisors say that there is nothing Paypal can do. I told them I will see PayPal ' s attorneys in court, this is not only bad business practice but it is verging on fraudulent activity.
Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Since you are not disclosing the details about your problem I guess we'll just have to wait until the court details become public, assuming you already have an attorney retained to file your case.

Login to Me Too

TinaDaniels82
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, I will keep you posted! I purchased items on Ebay that resulted in 8 separate transactions. I paid for each item as I purchased it. I received an email stating here is your receipt. I then received an email from eBay stating you have not paid for your items, you committed to buy these items so please pay now. I replied to the email and said I did pay, I received an emailed receipt. I checked my bank transactions online - nothing reflecting the payments were pending. I checked my PayPal account online - nothing reflecting the payments were pending. So I paid for the items. Checked my bank account and paypal account online - it showed the transactions pending. Once. The next morning I had an email from my bank stating my bank account had a negative balance. The PayPal transactions had gone through twice. My bank charged me $36 for each transaction that had caused the account to go into the negative balance. I have contacted my bank, PayPal & Ebay several times. None of them will admit fault.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Still missisng in the chronology.  After you paid for the 8 transactions, did you verify that the transactions were actually in your PayPal activity list on your computer?  If so, what were the details of those transactions at that point in time?

If the transactions were not there it should have been a signal about a problem. If the transactions were there it should have given you information about what to do next.

Were they to be funded by your bank account?  It would likely take a couple days for the transactions to show in your bank account as there is a delay for ACH.

I still can't figure out why you would pay a second time since you had an email to show you paid.  It would have been better to do some account and transaction investigation first.

Login to Me Too

TinaDaniels82
Contributor
Contributor
I paid them a second time because I did investigate after I got the email stating I had not paid yet. I checked my bank account online, and absolutely no indication that any transactions had been made appeared in my bank transactions. I checked my PayPal account online, and absolutely no indication that any transactions had been made appeared in my PayPal transactions. I received an email from EBay stating I had not paid for my purchases yet. I checked my Ebay account, and it showed the items I purchased with the status as "committed to buy" but "not yet paid". I responded to the email from EBay explaining in detail what had happened, and I waited a while to see if I would get a response, but never did receive any response. So I went ahead and paid, for what I assumed would be considered the first and only time, since there was no indication whatsoever that the first attempt to pay ever existed. I have used Ebay and Paypal numerous times before with no problem...I posted this issue in the PayPal community board hoping that someone may have a suggestion as to a certain department I should try to contact , or certain terminology I should use or any information whatsoever that could help my situation. I simply cannot afford to let my bank keep $180 for 8 transactions that cost a total of $11.55. I had to rush over to the credit union where I have a savings account and withdraw money from that to deposit into my checking account so that the bank would not continue to charge me overdraft fees. I had to call my car insurance company and ask them not to withdraw the money that they automatically debit from my checking account every month do that they wouldn't attempt the withdrawal and get declined, and then cancel my insurance for non payment of the premium. I have a friend who is a consumer protection attorney and he always helps me whenever I have any issues with businesses not treating the customer fair. So I am not bluffing , I will get him to assist me with this situation too. I was just hoping the community board might have some kind of helpful suggestions, but so far I have just been receiving scrutiny regarding MY actions. I did not do anything wrong or irresponsible to deserve to be criticized or for MY actions to be questioned. PayPal had a glitch in their system that has caused me a lot of problems, and they are refusing to offer any helpful remedy or even to admit fault. Instead I get a lot of attitude. It is simply bad business.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

OK, so I can't find any clues in your discussion.

So now does your PayPal activity actually show double transactions for each one?

It's hard to try to help investigate since we cannot see what is in your account (nor should we).

Does your eBay acocunt now show double payments?

I didn't go back and re-read all comments, but were you able get any details from PayPal support?  Not an admission of fault, but just details.

Login to Me Too

TinaDaniels82
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, that is the bizarre thing. All that day and evening , PayPal transactions & my banks transactions only reflected a single charge for each of the eight transactions. I check my bank account several times a day. It wasn't until the next morning when I received the email from my bank stating my account had a negative balance that the "double" set of transactions appeared. It was very strange that none of it appeared in my bank's pending transactions at any point , it went straight from a single set of transactions pending to "double" transactions & the $180 overdrawn fee cleared & posted. PayPal has told me it is customary for then to try to run the transactions through once, and then if the payment is not successfully received , PayPal attempts to run the transactions a second time in order to receive payment . So it even sounds like paypal did not realize the first set of transactions had been completed successfully, otherwise they would have not attempted the second set of transactions ....PayPal "refunded" the monetary amount of the second charges back to my PayPal balance...A total of $11.55... but I am more concerned about the $180 I lost by that second set of transactions running my bank account balance into the red.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.