Paypal customer rep giving false information.

iseeraj123
New Community Member

I would like to know how to proceed PayPal and ebay are putting me through run around because one of there rep gave me the wrong information. Long story short I sold my laptop on eBay a really expensive one for $1800. I received a pending payment as a precaution I called eBay to confirm that the payment will go through. They advised me to contact PayPal for further information, I did so and the customer representative confirmed that the item was paid for and it is safe to ship out. All this is in a recorded call, and come the next day I ship out the laptop next day at my own expense as I agreed with the buyer. So now I call PayPal to get an estimated time of when the money will clear and the first thing I was told was DO NOT SHIP OUT it was a scam. Spoke to the "supervisor" and got no where with her. The previous day before I shipped out I questioned the legitimacy of the buyer questioning the representative and was given conformation that the payment was going to clear. I would have never proceeded if not for that call. Now I have spent shipping cost and PayPal advised me to intercept the package by calling the carrier and having it canceled when it is already on route. I now have to incur another $15 fee from USPS for that and this is not a guarantee. How could such a reputable company let this happen? I have to go out my way because of an error on PayPal part and was not offered any help to help resolve the issue.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal reps do not have all the required information available.

It is the seller's reponsibility to verify payment information in the seller's PayPal account before shipping.  Never rely on emails or phone calls.  Just go to the PayPal transaction detials page for information (print it for your records).  That page will have payment state, buyer's address, "OK to ship" (or not), and eligibility for seller protection.

Money is transferred by PayPal, not eBay, so PayPal approval is very important.

For seller protection you would also have had to ship with tracking signature delivery confirmation.

Selling computers on eBay or anywhere on the internet is EXTREMELY risky and with very high risk for fraud and scams.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

This is an Ebay transaction.

When buyer make payment using Paypal,you should receive an email from Paypal-you get cash,in that email ,it will say whole or partial eligible for protection and there is an address you should ship t o.

You must do both to qualify for seller protection.

Did you get this email?

this is Paypal seller  protection.

Now Ebay also offers seller protection.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal reps are known to give out inaccurate information,there is a case of a seller who sold a $34k watch,the buyer has no shipping address in his Paypal account,but in the note section of the payment,he entered  his shipping address and ask seller to use that address.

Seller called Paypal and the rep said it is OK to ship to that address.

Well,buyer files item not received and won,as Paypal robot took the tracking number and match with a blank address,of course it failed to match,

Some Paypal members do not have shipping address,this is as we are told,for making payments for services,so there is no need to give a shipping address.

Like you,the seller has recorded the conversation,but lost the dispute and the subsequent appeals .

but y our case is different,you do have a valid shipping address,but the payment from waht you told us,has not cleared.

ASking Ebay and Paypal if you should ship is no guarantee,if the payment has not been released to you,then you do not have the money and you should not ship.

If the intercept works,then all you lose is the fee and shipping,try to get the FVF from Ebay.

If intercept fails,review both Ebay and Paypal policies and see if you can  nail one or both !!!!!!!!!!!!   

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

tell us more -

This is scam,how so?

Unauthorised transaction-seller must prove he has shipped to the given address,not necessarily delivered and the item qualifies for protection.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.