Payments Pending for Government Regulations

ManiacJoe
Contributor
Contributor

We're getting the message that our payments are being reviewed for Government regulations:

" To comply with government regulations, PayPal is required to review certain transactions. This payment is currently being reviewed and we will complete this process within 72 hours. This review only involves this transaction and does not affect the use of your PayPal account for other transactions."

We've been selling on Paypal for years, and this is the first time we're getting these messages.

Nothing that we're selling is remotely controversial.   Unless you count pro-wrestling posters.

Does anyone have any reason why Paypal started this?

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

No one can know without knowing your past account activity.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

sometimes it could be a word you used in your title which triggers security alert.

Login to Me Too

ManiacJoe
Contributor
Contributor

All the orders had items listed like this:

"(wrestler's name)  WWE 8x10 Photo"

Could be maybe a wrestler's name is a red flag name in Paypal for some reason.

My account seems to be fine.  Haven't had any issues or complaints in years now.

Login to Me Too

MIKURU
Contributor
Contributor

I have also had a pending status placed on a transaction. I attempted to make a payment for a motorcycle bearing. The note I included states: Balance of payment for quantity 2 BSA Big End Bearing B31 B33 M33 M20 M21 M24 M22 M23 1937-62 NOS New. I do not believe there is anything suspicious about the note other than the listing of models that the bearing fits which to some idiot might look like code. I am going to contact my congressman to complain about the unjustified interference with commerce. Follows is a copy of the email I received from Paypal:

We’ve placed a temporary pending status on this transaction.

Amount: --
Transaction ID: --
Recipient: Symonds Cycles

View the details of this transaction

To comply with government regulations, PayPal is required to review certain transactions. The payment you sent is currently being reviewed and we will complete this process within 72 hours. This review only involves this transaction and does not affect the use of your PayPal account.

For more information, see Government regulations and policies.
Sincerely,
PayPal

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Mxx could be your problem

Login to Me Too

MIKURU
Contributor
Contributor

I see, because those could be the designation of a weapon. Just shows how stupid all this screening is. These are also designations for: bus routes, dermatolical lasers, electrical connector, a line of apparel, BMW car engines, and what I was trying to purchase, a vintage motorcycle part. I suppose I have gotten myself on a list. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There could be other issues beyond selected listing details.

What countries?

How much money?

What web site?

Login to Me Too

Sherri2
Contributor
Contributor

I bought something through a sellers online store and paid via PayPal. I got this notice about my payment pending because government regulations require PayPal to review certain transactions.  Then 3-4 days later I found out that I was "refunded".

This is the message that was in the PayPal transaction info in my PayPal summary page.   "We reversed the payment and refunded your money because we couldn't finish our review within the required timeframe, or we didn't receive information from the buyer or seller. We apologize for any inconvenience"

This is someone I've purchased from before (I did in fact purchase something I'd forgotten 5 minutes after the one that the notice andnit went through fine.) She emailed me about PayPal refunding the money.  So I messaged her and explained the problem. I then used Friends and family the money to her.  Dang if the same thing happened again.  How can that be random? Also, what the heck am I supposed to do about this?  I don't want to miss out on what I'm trying to buy, which I will if I can't pay for it.  I'm now stuck waiting. She is stuck waiting.    I found out I can't cancel the transaction and don't want to send money via the mail and end up paying twice.  

I really would like to pay for the products-cosmetics.  

Login to Me Too

lkosakcamp

I received one of these today for the first time in doing business with PayPal since 2009. The email had a link where I could learn about government regulations policies, and so far, I haven't found a thing that tells me anything at all about government regulations policies. It's very frustrating. I'm a freelance e-book formatter, and I don't sell products of any kind.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.