PayPal won't let me connect my bank account, says the information is incorrect

austinstraight9
Contributor
Contributor

I want to connect my bank account to PayPal, but it keeps telling me the information I entered is wrong. I'm sure the information is right because I just used it to check my balance online, and I have it right in front of me. My routing number is 8 digits instead of 9, but whether or not I add a 0 to the front of it, it doesn't matter. 

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What bank?

Login to Me Too

austinstraight9
Contributor
Contributor

Tompkins Bank of Castile

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Where are you located?

Where is the bank located?

Perhaps the bank isn't acceptable for PayPal.

Login to Me Too

austinstraight9
Contributor
Contributor

Upstate NY

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Routing number should be standard for U. S.

Is the bank just a small hometown bank?

If you make too many attempts then PayPal will block the bank; you would need to phone PayPal to re-set.

Login to Me Too

austinstraight9
Contributor
Contributor

I wouldn't call it a "small hometown" bank but it only operates in western NY so it's no Wells Fargo

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I guess that makes it smaller than Trustco Bank which operates in NY and FL.  Just a little tidbit from FL.

The bank should not be a problem.

Why isn't the routing number standard length?  Or did you mis-read the number on a check?

I think you need to phone PayPal for help with this one.

Login to Me Too

austinstraight9
Contributor
Contributor

I got it off of a deposit slip, it's definitely the right number, it's on the bottom left corner, it just has 8 digits instead of 9... I've seen some people say they have an 8-digit routing number and add a 0 to the front when they have to have 9 digits but I tried that and it didn't work. 

I just got off the phone with PayPal and they told me to call my bank tomorrow, so I'll do that & let you know what the conclusion is in case it helps anyone in the future

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the update.  

I don't need the information, but I'm curious for the outcome.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.