PayPal forcing customer signup?

bwatford
Contributor
Contributor

All of a sudden customers can't checkout as a guest.  Anyone else experiencing it?  It has all but killed sales.

My settings in the business setup are still clicked for optional.

Login to Me Too
39 REPLIES 39

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WideRanger, open a tech support ticket at:

https://www.paypal-techsupport.com/app/ask

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

WideRanger

Thanks, @sharpiemarker, I just submitted a ticket. Hopefully the woman I spoke to who said that Guest Checkout requires a Payments Pro acccount is just totally wrong about that, though that in and of itself is troubling.

Login to Me Too

JustDuckyDesign
Contributor
Contributor

The person I spoke to started off saying something like that - but he clarified that what he meant was that AT THIS TIME only PayPal Payments Pro is working to accept credit or debit card payments without an account. They did suspend that functionality for all the rest - because of this issue, but that suspension is temporary and you can get accounts individually restored by calling them or submitting a ticket.

Login to Me Too

WideRanger

Thanks @JustDuckyDesign for the clarification. Unfortunately the woman I spoke to made it very clear that guest checkouts were no longer supported for personal/business accounts, and that only Payments Pro would be eligible for guest checkouts. When I asked why the PayPal website and docs say otherwise, she stated that they hadn't been updated yet. So either she was misinformed or straight up lying to me.

In any case, I submitted a support ticket via the link that @sharpiemarker provided, and low and behold they fixed the issue for my account in less than an hour. So that's good...

Login to Me Too

JustDuckyDesign
Contributor
Contributor

Mine have also been fixed! I really hope that what this person told me was correct - I'm advising all of my clients to call or submit a ticket as well.

Hopefull this will be the end of it!!

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

$30 per month is cheap,think how much it would cost you to get a merchant account from your bank.

PAYPAL has more to lose when your customer does not sign up ,he could be using a stolen card and you will still get seller protection if you comply with Paypal requirements,where does it leave Paypal?

Login to Me Too

jeslaughter
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same result.  They responded to the submitted support ticket and now the site is fixed!  
Wow what a relief.  

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting PayPal Merchant Technical Support.

Thank you for your patience. I have good news, your account has been fixed, Guest Checkout is re-enabled.

I apologize for the frustration.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Login to Me Too

LakeRetreat
Contributor
Contributor

I used sharpiemarker's link and it worked.  They fixed it right away.  Wow.  Phoning has been frustrating but that support ticket link that sharpiemarker shared to the PayPal Merchant Technical Services form worked within an hour.  Amazing.

Thanks to everyone here.

Login to Me Too

AaronRodgers

Called CS (6 PM CST Dec 14) and was told the my name/business will be added to an open ticket. "Chris" apologized and offered the workaround option of invoiceing the customer -- until this is fixed.

Login to Me Too

THE_BLUR
Contributor
Contributor

advise your customers to use a different browser it does work

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.