PayPal forcing customer signup?

bwatford
Contributor
Contributor

All of a sudden customers can't checkout as a guest.  Anyone else experiencing it?  It has all but killed sales.

My settings in the business setup are still clicked for optional.

Login to Me Too
39 REPLIES 39

JustDuckyDesign
Contributor
Contributor

Still not fixed as of 9:30 am 12/12/16. I spoke with PayPal again this morning. They asked me to submit a ticket and upload a screenshot of the page (where the customer enters their credit card info, but can't move past the page without creating an account) and the source code for the page and the page just previous to it (where you can select "Pay with Debit or Credit Card".

The person I spoke to said that they are having a lot of trouble fixing it because it's not happening to every site, and it's not happening with every browser, and it's not happening all the time even to the sites it's effecting - it seems to be intermittent and that makes it difficult to track down.

While I understand that - it's getting very frustrating. I have dozen of my website clients (who have on line stores) calling me very upset that they cannot get paid -- and I had another email this morning from one of my clients who tried to pay me on my website and I'm having the same issue.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to advise all of my clients to jump ship and start integrating different payment providers for all of them. The only other solutin within PayPal would be to upgrade to PayPal Payments Pro and that's not an option for all of my clients....SSL certificate, monthly fees, etc.

Anyone have any ideas - even for short term?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

amazon one click,get your own merchant account.

ask for cash or any non credit card payment

Login to Me Too

MAGICMIME
Contributor
Contributor

actually it's not that big of an issue.. yes it's afecting our business but dont you ever thought that the payment will be more secured if they ahve paypal account?? i mean, come on guys, it's just easy creating a paypal account unless you dont know what your doing.

#justsayin

Login to Me Too

LakeRetreat
Contributor
Contributor

I have been watching this thread hoping that the issue would be resolved.  When I called paypal on Friday they said they were aware of the issue and were working hard to fix it.  I just hope they can fix it soon.

Login to Me Too

OllieA
Contributor
Contributor

Just adding my 2 cents -- as of Monday afternoon, PayPal tech support is at least partly clueless. Level 1 said was clearly my problem, but after a frustrating 20 minutes with that person the next level person said was a problem for some sites. Gathered information and said would forward to person(s) working on.

The problem for me, at least, is that the paypal cart presents the customer with two buttons 1) PayPal Checkout and 2) Check out - Pay without a PayPal account.

If the customer uses the first one, all is well! On the next screen they can either pay with their existing paypal account or enter a cred / debit card number for a 1-time payment.

If they follow the 2nd button on the cart (Check Out - Pay without a PayPal account), then they are trapped on a page where they must create a paypal account.

They must have changed the destination for this second button, resulting in our customers' confusion.

Login to Me Too

OllieA
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I spoke too soon.

Following the 1st button does indeed take you to a new page with another button for pay with DR / CR card, but if you click it you are back to the create a new account page.

Trapped again!

Login to Me Too

OllieA
Contributor
Contributor

Update as of 12/14/16 -- filed trouble ticket per recommendations in this thread and very shortly thereafter got reply from Global Technical Support saying, "Checkout is re-enabled." Problem solved for my site.

Thanks to all here for the suggestions that led to the solution.

Ollie

Login to Me Too

jeslaughter
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem.  On my last call they admitted that there was an issue, but I could not get any more information out of the rep.  I tried creating a simple secure hosted button and have exactly the same problem.   Sure hope they get it fixed soon. I have a number of angry users.  

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

why cant they open a Paypal account OR set up AMZN one click Or ask them to send cash. 

Login to Me Too

bwatford
Contributor
Contributor

As of Monday Evening 9:24pm Central Standard Time it is not fixed.

I have a possible work around.  It seems if I use a third party shopping cart then it works but using the paypal shopping cart is what is causing this issue.

Can anyone else setup a third party shopping cart and confirm this?

Buy now buttons also seem uneffected.????

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.