PayPal demanding Social Security Number

centexan
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot process an eBay refund because PayPal is asking for my Social Security number. I don't give that out. How do I get past that screen that demands the number and process the refund?

I sell maybe 20 small items per year on eBay, very little money from it.

Login to Me Too
57 REPLIES 57

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You cannot by pass its request for your SS number

Login to Me Too

centexan
Contributor
Contributor

That wasn't so hard, to tell me that I must comply or lose the money.  PayPal is stealing from me.  I got my answer, but I won't give you a "kudo," since you don't condemn the theft.  I know times are tough, but working as a PayPal "advisor" here is a crappy way to earn a buck.  Don't forget that part of your pay this month was stolen from me.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

we are volunteers,we dont get paid by Paypal or anyone.

They should have asked for your SS number long ago,it is not just for sending 1099 form.

if you feel that disclosing SS data may jeopardise your relationship with other institutions such as State Govt,then do some research,I dont believe they can look into your Paypal account,but they do look into your bank account of any deposits other than your benefits.

As for IRS in an audit,any incoming cash other than your SS check,private pension check,paycheck,insurance claims,inheritance,which you cannot document,then it must be income and they want  a piece of it,but like you said ,you do not see meeting the threshold of 200 transactions and $20k.

Login to Me Too

evlitegroup
Contributor
Contributor
Patriot act says they have to, period. You could be finding a terrorist for all they know, federal law is federal law. You don't get to open a bank account with out it, heck you can't even get a drivers license or a job without proving who you are with you as. Not to mention technically that 20k is not minimum, if you receive any money it needs to be reported as income, under 600 is a no, but 600.01 you have to report. PayPal isn't going to risk an audit over your 22.00 to let you slide, billion dollar company would face millions in fines. Ts not even unsecure, you can't even see your own ssn in your profile.
Login to Me Too

sonyiajo
Contributor
Contributor

The person or persons commenting from pay pal seem to be fighting something since they cant keep it straight! first its a financial institution and we are bound to the same rules as other financial institutions  and then its not. Who or what financial rules is paypal bound to? I mean it seems to me they have the ability to take large portions of money from folks who buy there )taking portion from that person who is selling and then sell there. Also,i heard ebay owns pay pal and weather thats true or not paypal at the least is double dipping. As far as getting my ss numbers, If I cant walk into a bank locally and trust the person with my info, they are not getting the info. The gov clearly says not to give your ss out and especially online. You paypal person act as if we, the customers are trying to scam the government but it is you who scam us and push us around. There are forms for taxes that people fill out so when it comes to what was paid for item as to what was received for item I am sure it most always is a loss. Personally, I will be finding alternative way to gather my lil money out of this place and use an alternative method to pay and receive. This is just big corp bullying. You get to say if a person can even get there money, yet the goods are mailed and gone and the moneys in your pocket. Whats right about that? Thats theft on your part. period. Go ahead and press charges for me making a true allegation and then lets see what a jury says and how much media coverage we can get on that! Making rules that suit you, go figure. I dont scare with flimsy **bleep** tactics or easily.

Login to Me Too

LordHumungus
New Community Member

They want my SS# to pay someone else.  No way am I giving my Bday and SS# to some automated system.

And to those volunteers stating that you need to give an SS# to all financial institutions, PayPal is not a financial institution.  I sold a large item 2 years ago and it took over 1 year to get my money.  No protest from the purchaser, just multiple supposed lost checks and eventually no call backs from PayPal.  Had to get a lawyer and they said PayPal can pretty much do as they please with your money, they are not a bank or a financial institution and are NOT bound by the same regulations.  

Login to Me Too

FTS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

"PayPal is stealing from me."

No, they are not. They cannot issue your refund because you are refusing to comply with federal law.

A false accusation of a felony, however, IS a crime. 

Login to Me Too

FTS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

"working as a PayPal "advisor" here is a crappy way to earn a buck.  Don't forget that part of your pay this month was stolen from me"

Volunteer (noun)

a person who freely offers to take part in an enterprise or undertake a task.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@FTS wrote:

"working as a PayPal "advisor" here is a crappy way to earn a buck.  Don't forget that part of your pay this month was stolen from me"

Volunteer (noun)

a person who freely offers to take part in an enterprise or undertake a task.

volunteers do not get paid,where do you get the idea we get paid?

Login to Me Too

Probably because folks don’t do anything these days unless they benefit from it.... Volunteers are usually at Nonprofits and PayPal is getting paid...
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.