PayPal charging ME a fee to receive a payment from a friend?

KCphi12
Contributor
Contributor

A friend sent me $60 from his PayPal account linked to his US checking account on Monday, but when deposited in my account it was $57.96.  Everything from his end indicated that the transfer was free and there were no fees.   Everything about this in PayPal's policy that I can find says there should be no fee.  And secondly, if there was, why would MY account be charged this fee?  He chose the "Friends/family" option, and not "goods/services" type.

What gives?  Is this an error and who do I contact about this?  What number?

Chris

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

You were charged 2.9% plus $.30 (the normal processing fee) which is $2.04 and your balance was $57.96 - not  sure why at this point.   If both you and friend are "totally" sure that the "goods and services" option "was not" selected - that would be totally strange.   Are both accounts, you and your friend, US PayPal accounts ??   Anyway, you may want to contact customer support so they can review your transaction details - just click on the Help link, on the next screen, click on Contact Customer Support, from there you can phone.

Login to Me Too

KCphi12
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  They are both US accounts, and my friend is sure he selected friends/family. Will try customer support in a bit.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal processes 1 billion transactions in a year,if there is  bug ,we would hear more from other recipients/

I bet you your friend chose goods and services.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You can always refund and ask him to try again

Login to Me Too

madkiwi
Contributor
Contributor

You are asking this in the "About Business" forum. If your account is a business account then the fees apply to all incoming payments. Friend or no friend.

It is in the user agreement for a business account.

Login to Me Too

madkiwi
Contributor
Contributor

@sumiko wrote:

You can always refund and ask him to try again

Paypal only refunds the 2.9% so the OP will lose the 30 cents if he does a refund. If this is a business account, then he will lose that plus the fees for re-running again.

And annoy his friend.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.