PayPal: Raised your darn fees, but won't translate a buyers info for me?

AZDesertRat
Contributor
Contributor

What the heck, PayPal?  You raised your already high fees - and now you consistantly refuse to translating foreign buyer's addresses for me?

What am I paying for?Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PAYPAL does not translate addresses of 200 countries,you have to tell your buyer to give you the address in English.

USPS just need the country name in English so it can forward the mail t o that country and the local postal system will take it from there.

Login to Me Too

AZDesertRat
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal always translated for us PRIOR TO 2017!  Smiley Surprised ALWAYS.  Translating from foreign languages to english for the prodominently English speaking sellers is the right and normal thing for PayPal to do.  There's no discussion about this.  American E-bay sellers IS WHAT MADE PAYPAL THE GIANT THEY ARE TODAY.  The RIGHT AND ONLY thing for PayPal to do is to continue the translating they've always done for over a decade.   Why now did they suddenly reduce the quality and extent of their service on top of raising their already egrigious rates??  

I cry foul!  Most insufferably foul of PayPal.

Login to Me Too

AZDesertRat
Contributor
Contributor

Reply to Sumiko,

Your reply helped a little.  But you are missing the whole point I was making.  PayPal charges A LOT OF MONEY per transaction. A LOT.  It would be classy and more professional of them to be SURE and do the translation of the customer's name and address, zip code, etc. BEFORE it reaches the seller. (Especially since they did that before 2017) It is PayPal's burden as a WORLDWIDE money handler - translation should be the least they could do for their exhorbitant fees!  

BTW, PayPal always used to translate foreign names and addresses into English for me....WHY did they stop doing that around the same time they raised their fees, and changed their formatting and software program?  NOT COOL, PayPal.

Also, Sumiko, if I was to try and copy a Korean address, having never written Korean or Chinese or Japanese before....It would not be readable - and I guarantee you; My local USPS office from which I often ship, would take that package written in an Asian handwriting and lose it within the USPS burearcracy!  It would never, ever be delivered.  It would be lost.  

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I have been on internet selling since 1990s,I dont recall any service provider translating foreign names,Japanse names,Nigerian name,Estonian names?

It is just not possible.

most foreign buyers know better and they will register with English name if they are active on Ebay USA since Ebay USA is the largest site among all Ebay sites/

As a seller,you are expected to find out from the buyer .

What I did when I CANT get hold of the buyer is I will print shipping label using some English name I made up,then after I printed the label,I past over it with what the buyer gave me in his language,all USPS care is the country code,so it can direct to that country and the local postman will take it from there.  

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

yes,2.9-4.4% is high,if you have a steady business,get a merchant account,most are 1-2%,if you sell on EBay,make sure it can work with the 3 gateways accepted by Ebay

Login to Me Too

AZDesertRat
Contributor
Contributor

Whac-a-mole.

This is a direct reply to your October 22, 2017 comment.  Oh YES, PayPal did translate foreign info into English for many,many years.  I have been selling Ebay since the very beginning of their biz.  PayPal always translated the foreign buyer's addres and shipping info. (Hey, they had to translate the foreign money exchange and inequivalencies anyways, RIGHT?) 

There is no logical or excusable reason for PayPal to have stopped doing translating in late 2016, early 2017.  IT'S A COURTESY AND QUALITY EFFORT TO THEIR CUSTOMERS.  It should be done as a routine thing for it is the American sellers that made EBay and concurently, PayPal the financial behemoth it is today.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

foreign exchange market is huge,and the rates are published,but translating foreign addresses and names of the person is another matter,Paypal claims to do business in 206 countries?

How is it possible to translate street address of every city,town ,village of every country?

Even if it tries,I dont want it,I want what the buyer registered with Paypal or Ebay or AMZN as his shipping address.

if a buyer is buying from a foreign seller,he should  provide an address in English to make sure he would get the item,if he does not,ask for one.

anyway,if you are not happy with Paypal not providing such service,find one which does?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.