cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal Endpoint certificate upgrade - SHA-256 encryption

M_A New Community Member
New Community Member

Re: I just got a weird message. Is this a hoax? or what does it mean?

Got the same message here too. Is this something we need to woory about PayPal?

New Community Member

Re: I just got a weird message. Is this a hoax? or what does it mean?

I got it, too!

New Community Member

Is this a SCAM or is it real? IPN Upgrages?

We are brand new to PayPay and we have seen some obvious scam messages - can someone tell me if this is real?

PayPal service upgrades. Debbie Clark,

As we have previously communicated to you, PayPal is upgrading the certificate for www.paypal.com to SHA-256. This endpoint is also used by merchants using the Instant Payment Notification (IPN) product.   This upgrade is scheduled for 9/30/2015; however, we may need to change this date on short notice to you to align to the industry security standard. You’re receiving this notification because you’ve been identified as a merchant who has used IPN endpoints within the past year. If you have not made the necessary changes, we urge you to do so right away to avoid a disruption of your service!

Because these changes are technical in nature, we advise that you consult with your individuals responsible for your PayPal integration. They will be able to identify what, if any, changes are needed. Please share this email and the hyperlinks below with your technical contact for evaluation.

Testing in the Sandbox is one of the best ways to make sure your integration works. Sandbox endpoints have been upgraded to accept secure connections by the SHA-256 Certificates.

Full technical details can be found in our Merchant Security System Upgrade Guide. In addition, our 2015-2016 SSL Certificate Change microsite contains a schedule of our service upgrade plan.

Thanks for your patience as we continue to improve our services.

If these are real shouldn't there be some sort of notice when you log into Paypal?

New Community Member

Re: Is this a SCAM or is it real? IPN Upgrages?

I just got the same email.  I think it is bogus because it has copyright 2014 at the bottom.  I haven't received any 'previously' communication from paypal nor can i find anything on paypal.  I will choose to do nothing and then if we do have an interuption of service, well then, I'll contact paypal.

New Community Member

I agree.  This was the first communication I had about it, too, so that automatically sent up the warning signals to me.  If this is real, PayPal ought to fire the author and hire somebody who can get the point across better to the average client/customer.  I'm doing nothing until a problem reveals itself, or until I'm told on the actual site to take some action.

New Community Member

Re: Is this a SCAM or is it real? IPN Upgrades? Merchant Security System Upgrade Guide?

I had this message too, yrsterday, so the message is a long standing one that probably isn't OK.  but can't see any reply from Paypal as to wether it is real or not.  I agree there should be a link in the account settings if it's real.

If it is real, then I don't understand it.

I received the same message today and want to know if it's real or not. There was also info on SSL certificate upgrades. I've heard that PayPal is making changes but not all emails are valid. Any ideas? Thanks.

IMOORTANT!  I received reply back from PayPal today. It is SPAM and if you clicked on any links you better change password 

New Community Member

The original version, at least, is a legit message. See PayPal_Frank's new, plain-English explanation at the top of this thread.

New Community Member

Re: PayPal Endpoint certificate upgrade - SHA-256 encryption

Thanks for the info, Frank. It would have been much more helpful if the original email contained this info.