cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal Endpoint certificate upgrade - SHA-256 encryption

Contributor

Re: Help! What Does This Mean - in Plain English? IMMEDIATE ATTENTION REQUIRED: PayPal service upgra

Paypal told me to do NOTHING EXCEPT MAKE CERTAIN THAT MY BROWSERS ARE UPDATED. So strange to send a  letter to all business consumers. "Carey" assured me that there was nothing on my end (on my website) that I had to do. In fact, she was confused that PP sent me a thank-you for alerting them to a phishing scam !?!  That's all I can tell you.

New Community Member

Re: Help! What Does This Mean - in Plain English? IMMEDIATE ATTENTION REQUIRED: PayPal service upgra

I also recieved this email but decided to ring Paypal to find out what it was about.  They were very friendly and helpful and also apologetic about the confusion this has caused.  It seems they are updating their servers and this may affect people using older software.  If you use Ebay then it should be fine, it seems it could mainly affect those with their own websites, the easiest way is to give the a ring, it's a free phone number and they are very helpful.  So to clarify it is not a spam email it is genuine and it is to do with the updating their servers.  Hope that helps, the free phone number is 0800 358 7911 

Contributor

I sent a few of these to spoof@paypal.com and they responded with a long letter ...

Thanks for forwarding that suspicious-looking email. You're right - it 
was a phishing attempt, and we're working on stopping the fraud. By 
reporting the problem, you've made a difference!
Identity thieves try to trick you into revealing your password or other 
personal information through phishing emails and fake websites. To learn
more about online safety, click "Security Center" on any PayPal webpage.
Every email counts. When you forward suspicious-looking emails to 
spoof@paypal.com, you help keep yourself and others safe from identity 
theft.
Your account security is very important to us, so we appreciate your 
extra effort.
Thanks,
PayPal
This email is sent to you by the contracting entity to your User 
Agreement, either PayPal Ince, PayPal Pte. Ltd or PayPal (Europe) S.à 
r.l. & Cie, S.C.A. Société en Commandite par Actions, Registered Office:
5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg RCS Luxembourg B 118 

It is strange, though, because the letter used my first and last name (and Paypal says that all communication from them will do this) and they sent it to my business account only.   Hope this helps.

Tags (3)
Contributor

I just got off the phone with Paypal and they said that "all you need to do is make sure you are using updated browsers."

I asked clearly about the letter and the "tone" (regardless of the terrible wording) that made it sound like money processessing could not occur unless we "did something."  She said just to make certain that we are using updated browsers -- this was directed to the consumer - not to the end point vender.

All very strange and lots of mis-information.

So, apparently it is NOT spoof. And apparently it doesn't really have any real meaning as long as you keep yur software updated. Now I am unsure what to believe! Wait and see...

Tags (3)
Contributor

I just got a weird message. Is this a hoax? or what does it mean?

This was the message I just got, and I haven't received any other notifications (that I recall) about any changes.  Can anyone tell me what the heck it means?  TIA.

As we have previously communicated to you, PayPal is upgrading the certificate for www.paypal.com to SHA-256. This endpoint is also used by merchants using the Instant Payment Notification (IPN) product.

This upgrade is scheduled for 9/30/2015; however, we may need to change this date on short notice to you to align to the industry security standard.

You’re receiving this notification because you’ve been identified as a merchant who has used IPN endpoints within the past year. If you have not made the necessary changes, we urge you to do so right away to avoid a disruption of your service!

Because these changes are technical in nature, we advise that you consult with your individuals responsible for your PayPal integration. They will be able to identify what, if any, changes are needed. Please share this email and the hyperlinks below with your technical contact for evaluation.

Testing in the Sandbox is one of the best ways to make sure your integration works. Sandbox endpoints have been upgraded to accept secure connections by the SHA-256 Certificates.

Full technical details can be found in our Merchant Security System Upgrade Guide. In addition, our 2015-2016 SSL Certificate Change microsite contains a schedule of our service upgrade plan.

Thanks for your patience as we continue to improve our services.

New Community Member

Re: I just got a weird message. Is this a hoax? or what does it mean?

I received the same email today. I have been trying to find an answer too. It would seem that there would be a notification on our account if this was true. I don't want to mess with anything until I found out for sure.

New Community Member

I got the same message.  I would hope someone from Pay Pal would respond promptly in case it is a hoax so that folks don't fall for it. 

New Community Member

I also received the same message and sent it to spoof@PayPal.com.  Hope I hear from them soon as to whether it's real or fake.  If it's real, I have no idea what it means!

New Community Member

I got this too.  I don't know what the heck it means and wouldn't know how to do any of what it says either.  I certainly did NOT click on the link in the email.  Hope they address this.

New Community Member

Did any of you get a response from paypal yet regarding this? just got the email this morning and not quite sure what to make of it.

I've forwarded it to the spoof email address so will see what reply i get.