Is this a scam?

SharkKnight
New Community Member

I am selling a laptop on Craigslist, I know its Craigslist. I got an email from someone using the craigslist reply system. They gave me their number and we started talking about the laptop. She was asking me questions like does it still have the box, how long have you used it. Standard questions. Then I got this message.

Thanks i want it for my Daughter who currently traveled Overseas on a missionary trip am willing too Offer you $800 USD both the shipping fees Do you have a PayPal account so the payment can be made immediately, Give me your Paypal email  so i can transfer the money thanks...

Yeah it seems fishy. I just wanted some sort of confirmation before I miss out on a buyer. I know the golden rule, if something seems too good to be true, it most likley is. 

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SharkKnight

And i bet that missionary trip is in Nigeria or Africa somewhere   Smiley Wink

Read this and be prepared >>

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SharkKnight

And i bet that missionary trip is in Nigeria or Africa somewhere   Smiley Wink

Read this and be prepared >>

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.