I accidentally tried to send money to myself to pay for an item off EBAY

DREED2015
Contributor
Contributor

The money went to the first email that I had on the account but I had updated my primary email later on.  So I was told by the customer service representative to go to my account settings and reset my old email as primary so I could accept the funds pay $10.00 and send back to my account in 3-5 business days.  I tried but it said  "you cannnot send money to yourself" when I tried to change the email.  I then just canceled the money submittal and it said it would still send it to my PayPal account.  This is beyond frustrating as I have no idea how long the money sent on the 10th canceled on the 13th will take to show up in my account that was sent by myself, just so I can start the timer on paying to send it back.  Oh yeah by the way the money was supposed to be for the difference on an EBAY purchase but they pulled that money out of my checking at the same time and then send my checking into negative and have multiple overdrafts.  Any advice on ETA's what to do's?  Customer service was a joke and had no idea to even tell me to cancel.  Can you the community help??

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Did you switch back to the first email address as primary on your account and able to claim the $10?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

DREED2015
Contributor
Contributor

I tried but when you try to add the email address you previously had associated to your account that is holding your money in limbo, to the complete contrary of what customer service said after wasting 2 hours of time over 2 days, it immediately said the change - edit was unallowable because you "cannot send money to yourself".  Well that sure is funny because they sure dont mind taking it from me knowing that it cannot go to that email.  now i dont know where my money is it just has canceled and is missing from my checking.  I have HAD it with PayPal.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DREED2015

Did you remove the first email address entirely from your PayPal account or did you just switch primary email addresses only? Once you REMOVE an email address from your PayPal account, you won't be able to it back from your end (it will say the email address has already been linked) or you would have to speak with customer service to add it back on for you.  However, the rep could have meant that you must open a new account with the first email address or link it to another PayPal account to claim the money and then send it back to your current account that has your new PayPal email address.  Do you still have access the first PayPal email address?  As to where that money is, it is still held under that email address until you register it to a PayPal account that have not had that email address registered to it before.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.