How to divide up a 1099-K income

MNsnowbird
Contributor
Contributor

I started my family's Ebay account 17 years ago. In the last few years my son's Ebay business has grown a lot to where I have been getting 1099K 's for the income. Again this year it will be well over 100k coming in with my SS number since my name is on the account.  I really need to create a separate account so my son gets his own 1099K with his name on it. From what I always thought was you can only have one Ebay account per household address and only one paypal account per address.  I understand the concept of not wanting to let people have multiple accounts to try to fly under the 20k threshold but separate people should be able to have separate accounts.  

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

As for PayPal your gross receipts are reported to the IRS with the SS# you have with PayPal.  You can't retroactively change that.

As for you son, this would be a good time for him to establish his own PayPal business accounts for proper IRS reporting.

You can't establish accounts in your name.  You son also musts be at least 18 years old to have a PayPal account.

Login to Me Too

MNsnowbird
Contributor
Contributor

My son is 20 years old but still lives at home. Can he open a new paypal account under his name with the same home address? I would think he would also have to have a completely new Ebay account. It just seems to me that Ebay would not allow 2 Ebay accounts and 2 paypal accounts at the same address. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You can have family members living in same address selling on eBay and using PAYPAL to accept payments.

You cannot share credit cards,debit cards and the bank account must be in that person name.

1099 is sent sometime in January,it goes by SS number.

The only problem you folks can run into is with Ebay,when one gets into trouble,and get restricted,the other could since Ebay could suspect it is the same person with different IDs,not going around and use each other computer device may help,but sharing the same address ?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you can also call Ebay customer service,they are more knowledgible than Paypal customer service and there is no long wait.

Your son should  have his own Ebay ID and for tax reporting,his own Paypal account.

Not sure if they will ask you to prove his address,is the uitlity bill in your name?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.