Hold

LilyMae12
New Community Member

I have been using PayPal regularly for 10 years for payments from clients. I am a freelance writer. I have never had an issue with holds on my account, and out of nowhere, I have a hold on a payment that a regular client made yesterday. Despite contacting PayPal several times, I have not been given any specific details as to why my payment has been placed on hold. I am simply told that they believe it might be a "high risk" item. To my knowledge, those high risk items are tickets, gift cards, etc; not writing services. I am beyond frustrated. Nobody is answering my questions, and I keep getting the run-around. I was expecting to receive that payment so that I could pay my bills. I am a loyal PayPal user, nothing has changed with my account activity, and there is nothing suspicious (or so I am told). How can a multi-billion dollar company withhold a payment for a loyal user without giving a solid reason as to why they are holding it? Has anyone else had this issue? Is there any way to remove the hold faster? I cannot ship the item, because it's a digital service, so therefore, there is no tracking number. Moreover, the service has already been received! It's for writing services that I provide!

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Click on Legal at the bottom of the page and then select Use Agreement.  Scroll down to the section on holds; all reasons are explained there.

Without know the details of your recent past transactions there is no way to suggest a specific reason.

PayPal will not disclose specific reasons, either; this is to prevent anyone trying to circumvent holds policies.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

'high risk' - service provided has no tracking to prove delivery and prone to dispute of item not received.

if this is a regular client in US,consider using internet banking instead of PAYPAL and you dont pay any fee 

Login to Me Too

teamturner
New Community Member

What is internet banking? And does Ebay allow options other than PayPal to receive funds?

Login to Me Too

JusticeNow911
Contributor
Contributor

Happy Christmas! Paypal are doing that to a lot of account holder's. If I remember correctly, same stuff this time last year also, and it was blamed on a glitch...
Suddenly, 2 days ago,  they started holding my funds also. First rep told me it was becuause the sale was considered "high risk"(there's that verbiage again), then told me it was because the amount was higher than normal. Totally Incorrect.  I had a sale just 2 days prior to this one for the same amount no problems. She also tried to tell me the same excuse for a $122 payment, except, again, a payment of $146 1 day before.  I'm taking it further. I'm tired of paypal abusing their position "just beause they can". Interferring with business is against the law. Regardless of their written demands, that does not mean I have NO rights. I did not agree to paypal "interferring" with my business, and lying about it. I'm not a paypal  cheer leader and refuse to make excuses for their actions.

I discussed the matter with Ebay, that rep informed me that many people are complaining about the same thing, and also that many are leaving Ebay because of it. Seems to me, Ebay should seek an alternative. Most people could care less for PP, due to the constant strongarming and shabby tratment.  I for onewould welcome it and I got a feeling many sellers would be a lot happier and succesful, without a company constantly sabataging one's business.

Login to Me Too

Colzee
Contributor
Contributor

I have been with PayPal and EBay for almost 20 years and I just pulled my remaining item...I’m done!  It has been a 20 year spotless record....always post tracking information ASAP.  I’m not a big seller but every now and then I’ll sell a batch of items and I always immediately transfer my funds out of PayPal within a day or two....I have bills to pay!  Sold something yesterday and saw the hold place...never heard of this before.  I can not ship a $300 item not knowing if or when I’ll get my money....maybe 21 days!  You give them access to your credit card, bank account and now they decide to do ebays job of policing your EBay transactions....”if the buye gets the item, if they are happy, if you post tracking number”.  It might be different if you had had problems in the past... only possible reason on my end is that I sold more items and made them and EBay more money.  I refunded my $300 transaction, haven’t heard from my buyer yet (just saw that my last payment of 65 was also placed on hold)...offered my buyer to still sell with money order hoping that my perfect feedback will insure them I’m not a high risk!  I’ll probabl have to cancel the $65 transaction.    What a shame....Merry Christmas to sellers and buyers of EBay....PayPal is doing you in....go get the bad guys,  not people that caused you no problems!

Login to Me Too

Scrub5
Contributor
Contributor

Everything about Paypal is set-up to entice people into believing  a false set-up. I am an independent contracting attorney with clients in 2 time zones and decided to open Paypal bc thought it might be easier. Boy was I ever wrong. It is expensive, fraudulent, and they top it off with terrible public service. Yesterday, we had an emergency come up and for the first time put my account to a card b/c we read "immediate" transfer for $.25.

The "transfer of payment" to a card is listed as "immediate" for $.25, except ONLY AFTER we placed it on the card did it state it would be on hold 24 hours, AND, charged me $10.00 for the privilege (that was NOT listed prominently as a charge). After 2 "chats" (One of which got it wrong and told me it would be done in an hour, wrongly), hearing it would be on hold for 24 hours, I tried to call and get someone to take the hold off. I deduced during 2 phone calls that no one even wanted to help me, no one seemed to think I had a "problem," even though their system is set-up to do precisely what it did, lure in people to pay it.

They make big interest overnight in every dollar spent overnight in a Paypall account. The bigger the payment the more interest. They have no desire to speed the process, in fact they have every reason to delay the process. Customer service isn't important bc through 2 phone calls today, told I would get a "call back in 25-41 minutes" and "55-1:23 minutes" I have no had a call back and it has been 3 hours.

It's just a terrible company making money off others bc it can. It will do the bare minimum, upset as many people and still make big profit, and not care at all. Just like I found out in no one being willing to assist, being hung up on in chat, and not getting 2 call-backs promised today.

It's fraud.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.