Hobby Selling - How to collect payment

jhalts11
New Community Member

I am interested in going to a few fun events this year and sell artwork. I will be considered a vendor but only do so once or twice a year that I am planning. I want to be able to accept more than cash BUT I do not know how to do properly with Paypal. Do I need to upgrade to a business even though I might not make very much? Will that make things harder or either way will it not matter? If there a way to take credit card or debit card payments with a regular personal account, or does a business account just make it easier to do card transactions without making every sale and customer make an account. This isn't something I will be doing all the time and not planning on making a lot. Like I said it is more for hobby and the experience. I feel like only accepting cash will prevent a lot of sales. And if I switch to business and decide to not do that anymore can I switch it back? I know now that they do send out 1099s if you hit the minimum in sales. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

Hope this helps:

If you want to accept credit card sales at an event, you will need the following:

The PayPal Here App.

A compatible mobile device - WiFi enabled iPhone, iPad or Android compatible device

Associated PayPal Here Chip Reader or Magnetic Strip reader or a Combo Unit.

Access to WiFi - will not work without WiFi

PayPal Business Account - required for PayPal Here

You can upgrade your Personal Account to a Business Account yourself - should you decide at some point to downgrade back to a Personal Account, you must contact customer service for assistance as they can make the switch for you.   (Personally if you upgrade to a business account, you can still use it like a Personal Account but, that's your choice to switch back.)

As the the 1099 K requirements - if this is just a hobby, don't think you're going to meet the requirements doing 1 to 2 events a year unless art work is big ticket items.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.