Getting PayPal to accept payment from a nonmember shouldn't be this complicated

LoriT222
Contributor
Contributor

The buyer, (a city government department) is willing to resolve the negative balance in my account created inadvertently when the bank cancelled the credit card from which the agency had made a payment for services I provided. Now it simply wants to cover the payment with a new credit card. You'd think it's a pretty straightforward process. Yet despite multiple attempts, no one in PayPal customer service has been able to tell me correctly how they can go about doing this. None of their suggestions, have worked. I'm guessing the account is locked, though Paypal claims it's not (it's been almost a month since the dispute was raised). When the payer tries to make payment on a new invoice PayPal suggested I submit, he gets a message saying his payment cannot be processed. (Background: an original invoice was sent and paid on a credit card that was later cancelled. There's no dispute over the service provided.) After I explain several times to PayPal cs that it's a government agency that doesn't have a paypal account, they suggest I tell them to create a PayPal account. That's not even reasonable. I've spent practically all day trying to resolve this and it's clear the reps don't have any answers, just guesses. And when the guessing becomes too frustrating, and I've asked (three times) to be transferred to a supervisor whom I figured would have more accurate information, I'm put on indefinite hold, which I think it ruder than being hung up on. 

The department is willing to call PayPal and make a payment on the card, but only if it can be a straightforward transaction. But none of the reps could tell me how that path would work. Right now it seems the only solution seems to be to have them issue me a check, which will take about a month and then I can submit the payment to PayPal. In the meantime, I'm not able to use my PayPal account, which at this point is probably best for my sanity.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What happened?  I can't figure out the details.

There is a negative balance in your PayPal balance.

There was a cancelled credit card.

There is a new credit card.

A city buyer was making a payment which failed.

The city buyer wants to fix it.

What is the chronology of all of this?

Login to Me Too

LoriT222
Contributor
Contributor

You have the chronology correct. The question is, how can a payer, who doesn't have a paypal account (and won't create one becuase it's a governemnt agency) make a direct payment to PayPal?  Paypal won't allow them to pay if I reinvoice or send request for payment because I think the account is locked (though PayPal says it is not.) I called PayPal to ask if having the agency call directly to make a payment is a possible solution. They said yes. Because I want to make this as simple as possible, I asked, "how would that work?"  They said, "we'd have them create a PayPal account. Facepalm. I keep calling back thinking I might actually get someone who knows the correct answer.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

For an invoice, you just create a detailed PayPal invoice and send to the buyer's email address (no need to be a PayPal email).  The buyers through a link on email invoice.

Login to Me Too

LoriT222
Contributor
Contributor
That's what the PayPal reps have all told me and like I said it doesn't work. They get a message when they try to enter the payment that the purchase can't be completed and to contact the merchant. That's where I am.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

How are they trying to pay?  Without a PayPal account they would need to pay with a credit card.

Login to Me Too

LoriT222
Contributor
Contributor
@DPCreations wrote:

How are they trying to pay?  Without a PayPal account they would need to pay with a credit card.

Thanks for trying to help, DP. Maybe re-read the original and then your first response to it. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Perhaps you should re-state the problem.  

Your first post did not explain very well.

My first post was an attempt to clarify what really is going.

I've responded with options according to you various posts.

At this point I have no clue what you want to do.

Login to Me Too

LoriT222
Contributor
Contributor

Your first response to my problem laid out the details very clearly, I thought. At this point, I'll continue to see if I can resolve it though paypal.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.