Fraud activity giving me debt

usernotfound022
New Community Member

I have not been active on my paypal because of previous fraud activity on my account, however it happend again. I recieved a letter in the mail from a collections agency saying I owe an amount of $94.86 because I guess the person on the other side reported fraud. After calling customer service and an agent not being able to help me, attempting to report fraud on the transaction and the company's website not allowing me, and finally sending an email of my situation, I'm still not sure on what to do. This is a case of fraud and I can't and will not pay that amount. I should not be responsible for resolving someones case of fraud, this is something paypal should take care of. And paypal isn't trying to resolve this issue. Has anyone been in this situation and know what to do? Any tips? If paypal doesn't try to help, which they probably won't, should I go through with the police? I dont want this going on my credit.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Not likely fraud.

You do, however, need to look at all of your PayPal activity and balance.

Have you ever had a negative balance with PayPal?

Debt collectors will attempt to contact anyone remotely related to the real owner of a debt.  When an account goes negative PayPal will sell the debt to a debt collector.  The debt collector will attempt to collect the debt even if it means contacting the wrong person.

If you are the wrong person, you could contact the debt collector and let them know.  There are other options.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Michael

Hello usernotfound022,

I'm sorry to hear there was a situation involving fraud that has affected your PayPal account. It certainly sounds from your description that the situation is frustrating. That's not the kind of experience PayPal wants for customers. I will assist as best as possible.

Since you mentioned you were contacted by a collections agency, it sounds as though you have a negative balance on your PayPal account. Was your account used without your permission to send an unauthorized payment, or did you receive a payment that was later reported as unauthorized.

If your account was used without your permission, it may be that the transactions included a request that was sent to your bank and they may have refused to send money to PayPal. This can cause a negative balance.

If you received a payment and withdrew the money to your bank and then the payment was later reported as unauthorized, PayPal would have to send a refund to the owner of the PayPal account, bank account or credit card that was used to send the payment. If the transaction could not be covered under PayPal's Seller Protection Policy, then the negative balance could have happened when the refund was issued and the amount debited to your PayPal account.

You mentioned you spoke with a Representative but they were not able to help, and now you want to report fraud on the transaction. If your PayPal account was used without permission to send a payment, you can do that through the Resolution Center.

If you received a payment and it was reversed, what fraud would you like to report? If you received a payment that was later reversed, I'm sorry to say there's no place within your PayPal account that you would be able to submit a dispute in the way you've described. It may be that your next step would be to contact local law enforcement and submit a report to them.

I hope this information is helpful, at least a little. Thanks for your patience during this time.

Michael

PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.