Cased opened by buyer

TomT1225
Contributor
Contributor

I just want to learn what was wrong on my end.

I sold an item on ebay. The buyer opened the case 11 days after he got the item. He reported to PayPal saying that it was empty.

As a seller, I packed the item, checked the weight AND printed the label. At this point, if it was empty when I taped the box, I should realize it.

I broght this package to my local post office and handed it to the staff there. If it was surely empty, the staff at the post office or I should have realized it.

PayPal resolution center accepted buyer's request, and I lost money and the item.

I am assuming that I as a seller should have taking pictures of my item before I packed, but I am not sure that all sellers are doing such a thing.

Please adivse me what was wrong and what I am supposed to do from now to avoid such a problem.

I am really sorry about this issue, and I would like to learn something to become a good seller.

Thank you very much.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Since PayPal was not there when you packed the item and not there when the buyer received it, PayPal goes by their policies.  Sellers are responsible for delivering item, as described, for disputes claiming Significantly Not As Described.  Disputes claiming SNAD are not covered by seller protection so you are held liable to accept return, where applicable, and refund.

If you still have the postage receipt, you may try going to the post office or usps.com to report delivery of empty box.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

TomT1225
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. It is very helpful.

My shipping method was USPS First Class Package with Tracking Number. I did not add any insruance.

In this case, will they work for me? I have a record of shipping label and tracking information.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

USPS takes these type of claims seriously and will investigate,but I dont think it is going to refund you.

IF it is empty inside ,is that any sign of tempering,like sharp razor used to slit open the package?

Or could it be your buyer is trying to get freebie,which is not unusual these days,esp on Ebay.?

There is not much you can do to win a SNAD dispute,so the best policy is to insure the package.

Insuring a package with private third party insurer may be better than USPS,since tracking shows it has been delivered.

U-PIC and Ship Insurance are two third party insurers for online purchases.

you should also block this buyer and report him to Ebay,do it too many times and he will be restricted from buying on Ebay as he becomes a haZard to Ebay seller community

Login to Me Too

TomT1225
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much. When I sell something, I will prepare for the worst case from now.

Best,

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.