Can't Change My Business Name;

nannerchu
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 
I'm having the worst luck with changing my business name. I create digital art, mainly character designs at the moment. At the time I was unsure of myself, but since then I've actually realized that I might can do this. However, because of being unsure of myself I didn't put much thought into my business name, and because I'm hoping to move toward selling physical items I would like to have a name that wasn't made in the spur of the moment.

When I follow the steps though, even clicking the links left here to where I'm supposed to go it wants me to change my name, and not my business. I tried contacting Paypal but they simply sent me an automated email about changing my address. Not what I wanted.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you have a business account, go to Profile and Settings (avatar/profile drop down menu, next to log out button), then click Update in Business Information section to update your Business Name.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Vespucci
Contributor
Contributor

I myself did exactly that and It does exactly as the thread subject said would happen. It also asks me if I want to change my Legal Physical Birth Name and not my Business Name.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Vespucci

You click on update your busienss information,

then click on edit for your business informatin,

then click on change business information,

and then it asks for if you want to change your birth name?

Is that correct or did you do a different procedure?

When I get to the change business information it ask why, with 2 choices.

Login to Me Too

nannerchu
Contributor
Contributor

This is exactly what occurs for me. I follow all the correct steps, given here and by Paypal multiple times, and yet it still happens the same way. It wants me to change my birth name, instead of business.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Does it matter which of the 2 choices you select?

Login to Me Too

nannerchu
Contributor
Contributor

No, it doesn't matter.

I was a personal account, and then I upgraded to a business account.
So that may be a factor.

I'm unsure, and still unsure if I even needed to have a business account since I'm a casual digital art seller.

If I made a new account starting off as a business account could I transfer money from my current account and move it to my new account?

Like I said it's not a complete concern of mine at the moment, but it is frustrating to have to constantly tell people your business name may appear different. 

Login to Me Too

Vespucci
Contributor
Contributor

Exact same thing here. It either tells me "Incorrect Name Spelling" or "Legally Changed Name". Neither is something I wish to do since all I am trying to do is change my Name of the business that will be seen by commissioners on their Email, Invoice and Credit Statement

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

When you set up your business acocunt it should have been with your legal business name.  It makes sense, then that any changes to your business name would have to be legal changes.  Businesses need some sort of financial accounting, such as sole proprietorship, partnership, or corporation.

If you don't keep track of your finances as a business, then a separate business name would not be appropriate.

You would need to phone PayPal customer service for help.

The business name for PayPal should be the same business name you use when you file your business income tax report.

For a sole proprietorship the easiest business name IS your personal name.

If you register your business with a fictitious name, then that can be your business name.  You can have a sole proprietorship business as your personal name and then register a "doing business as" name with a fictitious name.

Whatever you use, get it right and then phone PayPal customer service for help.

Login to Me Too

Vespucci
Contributor
Contributor

I just want to say that its very odd that this has occurred now. Because in the past when you clicked on "Change Business" name it never asked any questions or cared why. You could just change it. I'm guessing Paypal is trying to be more strict about certain protocals now 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.