Buyer repercussions?

auhunter
Contributor
Contributor

As a somewhat newbie to Ebay and Paypal I have a question that I hope someone has an anwser to. At the beginging of May I sold an item on Ebay and shipped it international. The buyer then opened a case with Ebay after recieving the item. Ebay decided in my favor. The buyer then opened a case with Paypal. I submitted all evidence that I attempted to work with the buyer on Ebay and that Ebay had denied the buyers claim. Paypal decided in the buyers favor for unknown reasons. Now that the buyer has tied up my money for nearly a month and Paypal has yet to recieve a response from the buyer on shipping the item back to me my question is...Are there any repercussions that Paypal hands down to the buyer for either not submitting a response / shipping information or for filling a fraudlient case?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Did you try a phone call?

What was the dispute?  What offers did you make to settle.

My approach is to learn as much as I can and then present my best offer to the buyer and make it such an offer that the buyer is likely to accept.  You stay in control this was.  Once you pass control to PayPal there is a lot more to lose.  Once you pass control to the buyer to return whatever, your business cost goes way up.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal does not like disputes on your reccord, either as a buyer or as a seller.  Too many disputes will get your account limited, for buyer and/or seller.  PayPal wants customers issues resolved outside of PayPal.

You've come accross a problem with allowing the dispute to go to PayPal; drags on and ties up your money.

From a seller perspective it is generally better to reach an acceptable resolution with the buyer BEFORE the buyer gets angry and files a dispute.  When you have an unhappy buyer the first thing to recognize is that there will be a cost to your business, so resolve with the least cost.

Back to your current issue.  Suppose you win and buyer does pay for return shipping with tracking and you receive back junk.  Now think about your loss.   So, you appeal the decision and hope win but the money is on hold now for additional weeks and weeks until another decision is made.

There are serious risks to online selling.

Login to Me Too

auhunter
Contributor
Contributor
I completely understand and I tried to work with the buyer but the buyer did not and has not responded to any of my emails. So how am I to work with a buyer who doesn't communicate? As a seller I feel that I should have more protection when dealing with a buyer who does not communicate.
Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Did you try a phone call?

What was the dispute?  What offers did you make to settle.

My approach is to learn as much as I can and then present my best offer to the buyer and make it such an offer that the buyer is likely to accept.  You stay in control this was.  Once you pass control to PayPal there is a lot more to lose.  Once you pass control to the buyer to return whatever, your business cost goes way up.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.