Buyer on Craigslist asking for my pay pal email and home address

architect

I have a buyer that wants to purchase something and wants to pay me via pay pal.  They want my pay pal email and home address.  I figured they will know my home address to pick up this large item so there should not be any security issues by giving them my home address with my email to pay to my account and then come to my place to pick it up. 

Just wondering???

Login to Me Too
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@architect

Firstly DO NOT accept paypal for an item that is to be collected or personally delivered as you would have ZERO seller protection. If the buyer drove home and opened a dispute for non receipt of item then you would have to refund him as you would have no tracking number to prove ''delivery'' of the item to the buyer.

Paypal DOES NOT cover ''collect'' items.

Secondly there is an ongoing SCAM for collect items so read this as well so you are aware.

>>>

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that paypal state you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg moneygram or western union.

ACCEPT CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY / THEN YOU WILL HAVE CASH IN HAND / NO PAYPAL FEE AND NO RISK OF A CLAIM.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You can't be protected from your own bad judgment.

Why not follow good advice and accept cash only?

Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

As long as you didn't accept payment, there was no reason to change anything on your account.  The scam was not about your account; it was about getting free stuff.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

THERE IS NO PAYPAL SELLER PROTECTION FOR IN-PERSON PICKUP.  Buyers routinely file a dispute for non-delivery right after pickup--AND WIN a refund.

Send an email back to th buyer that your will ONLY ACCEPT CASH.  The buyer will disappear.

Login to Me Too

architect

I was unaware of this policy but thank you.  It appears they can transfer money, pick up item, and notify paypal fraudulently that they didn't pick up....never happened to me yet since I have been good at vetting buyers.  So how can I be protected?  Would I have to use a shipping method for selling, even if in the case for friends and family sales?

Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You can't be protected from your own bad judgment.

Why not follow good advice and accept cash only?

Login to Me Too

architect

I agree with everyone. Will accept cash only.   I will research PP policies in more depth as well.  Just in case it was a scam in the making, I changes my PP account email as well as my bank account linked.

Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

As long as you didn't accept payment, there was no reason to change anything on your account.  The scam was not about your account; it was about getting free stuff.

Login to Me Too

architect

Thanks.  Well it was time to update my info anyways...  Thanks again!

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@architect

Firstly DO NOT accept paypal for an item that is to be collected or personally delivered as you would have ZERO seller protection. If the buyer drove home and opened a dispute for non receipt of item then you would have to refund him as you would have no tracking number to prove ''delivery'' of the item to the buyer.

Paypal DOES NOT cover ''collect'' items.

Secondly there is an ongoing SCAM for collect items so read this as well so you are aware.

>>>

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that paypal state you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg moneygram or western union.

ACCEPT CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY / THEN YOU WILL HAVE CASH IN HAND / NO PAYPAL FEE AND NO RISK OF A CLAIM.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.