Am I covered returning an item for repair (USA to Netherlands)?

katannamariee
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a used musical instrument 3 weeks ago using paypal from a retail store in Amsterdam for $4500. The item arrived in need of repairs and the store owner told me to ship it back to them, where they will send it to the manufacturerer to have it repaired (in Germany).

I am a little uneasy about returning an item this expensive on the word of the shop owner, but the manufacturerer refuses to take packages from the USA because of import taxing, so this is the only 'option' I have. 

Am I covered in the event that I do not get my musical instrument back?  Better asked, Can I file a dispute and get a refund if the shop owner neglects to send the item back to me? 

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

This is a repair or warranty issue outside of PayPal protection.

If you want PayPal involved then file a dispute for not as described and ask for a refund.  If you win you would need to pay return shipping.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@DPCreations

if she files a dispute and win, return the item and get her money back,the seller is not obligated to repair as she is no longer a customer.

In fact it would **bleep** the seller off as he works for nothing.,worse,he lost money on shipping.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I realize that.  It was only meant as an option if the buyer just wanted a refund.  Returns may not end well, either.

Buyer needs to decide what matters most and what risks to take--and there are likely high risks no matter what.

I think this transaction was an extemely high risk transction from the beginning and it only gets worse.

Protection is only as good as the trust and honesty of the seller.  In this case the seller is only the middleman between buyer and manufacturer.  That makes the trust issue even more uncertain as no one knows the real trusting relationship between seller and manufacturer.  There is no contract with buyer and there couldn't be a binding international contract.

Difficult position for buyer.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you can try talking to him that you will file a dispute of item not as described,Paypal will then withhold payment in his account,you return the item on your dime,when it is repaired and ready to ship,you will close the case?and he will have the payment back.

but the problem is that you need  to upload tracking,once tracking shows it has been delivered,robot will return you the money and close the case,it does not give him much time to repair the item.

But then you can buy again,compensating him for the original shipping he lost.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you asked-

Am I covered in the event that I do not get my musical instrument back?  Better asked, Can I file a dispute and get a refund if the shop owner neglects to send the item back to me? 

-------------

no,in order to file a dispute,you must start with the transaction,there is no transaction for return.

there is the transaction which shows you paid for the item and he probably has tracking showing it has been delivered.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

well,if you have used a credit card,then file chargeback if he does not return the item,you have 180 days to do so.

you will show the original transaction,plus the emails backa nd forth and proof you have returned the item.

skip paypal

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I bought some carvings from a cybershop located in Denmark.

It turns out some pieces are not as described,the seller asked me to wait for his boss to return from Italy,I waited and waited,and decide to file a chargeback with AMEX. asking for a partial refund.

AMEX then asked me to return the items and upload tracking .

Then I found out Denmark is a country which slaps custom duty on returns??

The package arrived in Denmark and customs office notifed them to pay and pick up the shipment ,and they dragged their feet.

I emailed the Danish customs and they responded that they haev sent notices to the shop.

Finally,I got tired of waiting,so I presented these emails and shipping and tracking to AMEX and got my money back,BTW,Amex has good customer service and the reps are quite well versed with Paypal,EBAY ETC.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Whac-A-Mole

This demonstrates one of my concepts:  the party with the most knowledge has the most power.  Your extensive knowlege of the system and persistence allowed you to prevail.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

thank you,I seldom buy from overseas seller,I dont know why I break my own rule,MUST BE  A FULL MOON THAT DAY!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.