Accepting "buy me a coffee" donations

Webbo1
Contributor
Contributor

I run a website which earns me a small income from advertising. I'm registered as a sole trader in the UK.

I'd like to add the option to allow people who appreciate the site to make a paypal payment/donation, possibly via a service like "buy me a coffee" or ko-fi.com. In return, if they wanted, I'd put their name on a supporters page with a link to their blog/website

However I've read that some people are having problems with receiving this type of payment through paypal.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if
1 - They are successfully doing this sort of thing using Paypal?
2 - You should use a Paypal business account (I assume yes)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

You can accept Donations with a Personal Account however, there's one thing to be aware of.   If you should reach $10,000 USD and you are not a verified nonprofit, you will be asked to demonstrate how their donations will be used - keep good records.  (This applies to both US and UK Personal Accounts.)

Login to Me Too

Webbo1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply Snow-Cat

I had seen the guidelines on Paypal but would be interested in hearing first hand from anyone out there who is using something like ko-fi.com for donations

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.