Accepting a payment for Craigs List sale

Tygalove
Contributor
Contributor

I have only received ebay payments to PP.  Today I received a full price offer for an item I have listed on Craigs List..Buyer wants to pay via PP & wants me to hold item till shipping is arranged by buyer..Buyer wants to know if I have PP..I am very reluctant to complete this transaction as this will be the first time it is not an ebay sale.  What info will I need to provide buyer to complete transaction??  My concern this is a scam & I do not want to expose myself or my PP acc.  Any advice appreciated..Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

what is the item?

For certain items,buyer prefer to arrange shipment with their designated carrier,for example,an automobile,the shipper will need the title to transport the car.

The buye may have an account with the transportation company and prefer to use theirs and not yours.

Same can be said with antique furniture,business,industrial equipments which need to be disaseembled and reassembled,insurance comes into play as well.

but then there are also scammers who get your name and Paypal email address and send you a fake Paypal email saying you have been paid ,the amount include shipping with Fed Exp,and it is on hold right now until you troop to a fake site and pay Fed EXP shipping to show you are ready to ship before they release your payment.

then you shipped and find out there was never any paypal payment,aka it is not in your account.

also rememeber whoever the shipper is,you must have online viewable tracking and/or signature to get protection for item not received. 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Scam.

Buyers don't arrange shipping; that's the responsibility of the seller.

You list an item with a price.  When the buyer accepts, you then inform buyer of shipping charge. When accepted, you then send buyer a PayPal invoice with all details (including pictures) and shipping charges.  Buyer pays invoice.  You ship.

Login to Me Too
Solved

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

what is the item?

For certain items,buyer prefer to arrange shipment with their designated carrier,for example,an automobile,the shipper will need the title to transport the car.

The buye may have an account with the transportation company and prefer to use theirs and not yours.

Same can be said with antique furniture,business,industrial equipments which need to be disaseembled and reassembled,insurance comes into play as well.

but then there are also scammers who get your name and Paypal email address and send you a fake Paypal email saying you have been paid ,the amount include shipping with Fed Exp,and it is on hold right now until you troop to a fake site and pay Fed EXP shipping to show you are ready to ship before they release your payment.

then you shipped and find out there was never any paypal payment,aka it is not in your account.

also rememeber whoever the shipper is,you must have online viewable tracking and/or signature to get protection for item not received. 

Login to Me Too

Tygalove
Contributor
Contributor

The item is a carved oriental chair & buyer has asked for item to be held after payment until he makes shipping arrangements..I kinda have a feeling this may be a hinky deal as the price is high with an offer to negotiate..Listed yesterday & get full price offer today..hmmmm....

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

well,if it is an expensive chair ,I can understand he does not want just anyone to pack and ship,esp if it is an antique.

Just make sure you get your seller protection,if it is a freight company ,see if you can ask for a small Paypal deposit and the rest is cash and carry.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.